Thursday, February 22, 2024

I Hate Coriander Day

 Sometimes it seems like there is a day for everything and this proves it.  February 24 is the 'official' I hate Coriander Day.  Or its leaf, cilantro.

I am one of those folks can't abide the taste of cilantro, though the seed itself doesn't bother me.  I omit it whenever it is called for in a recipe.  I don't even substitute.  And heaven forbid they mix it up in the produce section with parsley.

According to Ancestry.com they have yet to identify any genetic reason for the aversion. They think it may have something to do with where our ancestors come from.  Well, not much cilantro being used in Northern Italian or Eastern European cuisine.  

But I will make my Mexican and Indian dishes without it.  For sure.

11 comments:

  1. So, you have the Cilantro Tastes Like Soap gene? You are in good company and it isn't only taste. I have a problem with the scent of certain flowers that many people enjoy. For example, paperwhites, to me, smell like a garbage dump. So do certain lilies and the late blooming lilacs. It's interesting, these genetic variations. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate certain lilies too. And hyacinth. My mother couldn't stand carnation.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love cilantro especially in Mexican dishes and salads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stand cilantro either! It tastes like soap to me. Apparently, this has been subjected to scientific studies. Link:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1878450X2300121X

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link. Very interesting.

      Delete
  4. I love it, I grow it! Each to their own, as they say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we won't be sharing a meal with cilantro anytime soon, lol.

      Delete
  5. According to my DNA test, I'm supposed to have an aversion to Cilantro (they call it Chinese Parsley in Hawaii), and I don't hate it. I grew up on Mexican food, and it's in a lot of the dishes. Apparently, I must like the taste of dishsoap (I hear that's what it's supposed to taste like). 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do say it has a lot to do with what you grow up eating. It does taste like soap. To me anyway.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.