Friday, May 22, 2026

Hip, hip, hooray

Now if my community would only get rid of the buckthorn we having growing everywhere!

Michigan restricts buckthorn, other plants as landscapers cry foul

  • Michigan officials voted Wednesday to prohibit or restrict six invasive plant species, including Japanese barberry and Callery pear
  • Conservation advocates who pushed for the changes called the decision a major victory for Michigan’s native habitats
  • Advocates said the vote helps Michigan catch up with neighboring Great Lakes states that already restrict many invasive species

A quiet moment of disbelief spread through the room Wednesday after the Michigan Commission of Agriculture and Rural Development unanimously voted to add six invasive plant species to the state’s prohibited and restricted species lists.

Conservation advocates who had submitted comments and attended hearings since October looked at one another after the vote.

“We really got this done,” said Carolyn Miller, president of the Wildflower Association of Michigan. “We’re beyond happy.”

The Michigan Nursery & Landscape Association, which had opposed the expansion of the list, could not be reached for comment on this story.

The commission voted Wednesday to prohibit the sale and spreading of water hyacinth and water lettuce beginning June 19. It also voted to restrict common buckthorn, glossy buckthorn, Callery pear and Japanese barberry beginning Jan. 1, 2028.

Under Part 413 of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, invasive species are defined as nonnative species that cause or are likely to cause harm to the environment, economy or public health.

RELATED: 

The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development “is committed to protecting Michigan’s agricultural and natural resources so that they may be enjoyed by present and future generations,” said MDARD Director Tim Boring. “Yesterday’s decision was the culmination of a long, comprehensive process that included rigorous, science-driven risk assessments and extensive public comment.”

For environmental advocates, the vote marked what they called a long-awaited step toward limiting the spread of invasive plants across Michigan habitats.

Miller said conservation groups began mobilizing after MDARD proposed the additions last fall. Organizations encouraged residents to submit public comments ahead of hearings held in March and May.

Dave Putt, vice president of the Wildflower Association of Michigan and chair of its Environmental Advocacy Committee, said advocates were especially concerned about the four terrestrial species because many cultivars, or varieties produced by selective breeding, are still commonly sold in Michigan nurseries.

“We knew that we were going to face opposition,” Putt said.

Putt said Wednesday’s decision was especially significant because it applies not only to the parent species, but also to cultivars.

“That was critical,” Putt said. 

Advocates argued the invasive plants have escaped cultivation and spread aggressively because they lack natural predators in North America.

“They are ruining Michigan habitats,” Miller said.

Putt said the decision helps Michigan “catch up” with surrounding Great Lakes states that had already restricted or prohibited many of the species. Miller added that Michigan had not added plants to its invasive species lists in about a decade.

Miller said millions of taxpayer dollars are spent trying to remove invasive species from natural areas across the state.

Advocates expect continued debate from parts of the nursery industry

“There’s going to be a fight,” Miller said. “But we’re one step closer.”

This article first appeared on Bridge Michigan and is republished here under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

Thursday, March 12, 2026

Not in My Neighborhood

 They were predicting snow overnight.  1 - 3 inches.  Of course, they mess up the forecast on a regular basis, but, they could be right...  So I decided to do my grocery shopping a day early.

I prefer a store in neighboring Farmington Hills.  A further drive, but a larger, well-stocked store.  I got home at lunch time, put the groceries away, and heated some leftovers for lunch.

The birds had done quite a number on the suet cakes in the feeder, so I got online to the local garden center to see what they had in stock.

And then the sirens started.  I figured there must be an accident close by.  The main road is just a few hundred feet away.  But then more sirens, and fire trucks.  When I came home there were crews on the road trimming trees interfering with electrical power lines.  I had even thought I should blog about it.  Maybe something had happened to a crew member.

But the noise stopped close by.  Was something happening at the synagogue on the corner?  I had feared that for years.

So, I got online to see if anything had posted on social media - the watchdogs of the world.  And then the phone rang.  One of my sons was stuck on the road with dozens of police cars racing by.  He got on social media and said there were reports of an active shooter at the synagogue about one half mile down the road - the one I just drove past, Temple Israel.  My polling place for elections.  They have hosted Michigan Week breakfasts in years past.  I attended a wedding there.  This is really happening in my community.

The helicopters arrived.  After three hours of them buzzing overhead, my head was spinning.  Every news channel was reporting on the incident.  I had shelter in place alerts on my phone.

If you live in the States, you may have seen coverage.  I even saw it on the BBC website.  There is no excuse for the hatred and outrage we see in this world.  War needs to cease.  I do not want it in my neighborhood, or in yours.

These photos were taken from images on my TV.




It is now 10 pm and helicopters are still overhead.  Enough already.