Monday, April 26, 2021

Venetian Republic

Growing up in an Italian family I can remember hearing over and over again how we were 'true Italians'.  We were from the Venetian Republic.  Many in my family considered anyone who was from Rome and further south to not be 'true Italians'.   

The families in Detroit belonged to the Venetian Club.  It was formed in 1928 and is still going strong.  The last Italian wedding I attended was held in the current banquet facility as was my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary.  One of my first cousins is President of the Women's Club.  

But I am not sure how many of the younger generation are even aware of the Venetian Republic.  The Republic existed as a sovereign state from 697 A.D. until the invasion by Napoleon, dissolving in 1797.  They even have their own Venetian language.

I have visited Venice.  I remember that it rained a lot while we were there.  But I did get to go to the glass factories and I still have the Murano wine glasses I ordered and had sent home back in 1969.  

If you have visited Venice I am sure you were impressed with the Palace of the Doge who ruled the Republic.  Nice digs.

(Venice) Doge's Palace and campanile of St. Mark's Basilica facing the sea

Didier Descouens, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

11 comments:

  1. Wonder if you have read the Donna Leon detective books, which are all set in Venice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't. I haven't even heard of that author. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. We so loved this city when we visited it in 2009. It’s like an adult playground which includes many museums, churches, shops etc... I didn’t know you had to be from this area to be a true Italian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess every country has its prejudices. And communities. Years ago someone suggested to me that my township should be split in two because the north end and south end were composed of different types of people.

      Delete
    2. The Northern part...the very Northern part were part of Austria and called South Tirol and have a large amount of German speaking people there. It was given to Italy, I believe, after WW2. I’m certain you know that part. It would be interesting to know about the Venetians and Florence people if they a4e different from the Southern area. I wonder if DNA would show this.

      Delete
    3. Yes, DNA does show it. There is Northern Italian DNA and Southern. I have cousins with both - intermarriage. That raised quite the ruckus in the family.

      Delete
    4. BTW my great grandfather died in a tunnel collapse while building the first railway through the Tirol mountains.

      Delete
    5. Wow! I went through those tunnels. Funny how so much is interconnected. Cool about the DNA, not so much for some of your family members:)

      Delete
  3. I was due to visit Venice last year, but obviously it didn't happen. One day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know this. I have a good friend whose Mom and Dad are from Sicily. Her DNA came up from northern Africa and Sephardic, and Italian. She was surprised. I didn't know there were so many regions in Italy - Interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.