Saturday, April 24, 2021

UNESCO Sites

 Yesterday I had planned to talk about travel to ancestral homes.  Well, that got derailed.  But one of the things I always talked about when I did my A to Z in the past was UNESCO World Heritage Sites.  Unfortunately, while I have visited Italy, I have never been to Cordenons.  And I have never set foot in Poland.  I've been to Germany, the Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Russia and even Estonia.  Poland is where I had planned to go last year.  Right.

So, UNESCO sights in Italy anywhere near where my family is from?  Uh, nothing really.  So, I looked at sites in Poland to see what I might visit.  Well, the historic centers of Warsaw and Krakow are on the list.  But then I saw the wooden churches, tserkvas, of the Carpathian region.  It reminded me of the ones I saw in Russia.

Church at the Vitoslavlitsy Museum of Wooden Architecture, Veliky Novgorod, Russia

Here is a link to the Polish churches: Tserkvas 

Have you ever visited UNESCO sites?  Poland?  Tips?

5 comments:

  1. Wow, this is my first time seeing Tserkvas. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not been to Poland, but I have been to several other UNESCO sites, although at the time I didn't know they were. I mean, traveling as a teen with my parents though-out Europe we visited a lot on the list. I know for sure Roskilde Cathedral, and Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland.
    I know I cried when the Taliban destroyed the giant Buddhas carved in the 5th century, in the cliff in Afghanistan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really must visit Poland. Thanks for reminding me!
    The church is beautiful, it looks a bit like Noah's ark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been to Poland but I know where you will be going once this COVID19 crap is under control. If people would stop having parties...another one in Toronto again, if people listened, wore their masks and got their shots plus have the ability to be off work, maybe it could be lowered. I am not explaining all that needs to be done but just a start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandson's school had to close - again. The result of spring break. One of his seven year old classmates tested positive.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.