Saturday, December 22, 2018

Pondering Before the Christmas Feast

Today is my day to do nothing more than vacuum the house.  Tomorrow I will bake the cookies I've stored in the freezer and do some food prep in advance of Tuesday.  It also is a day when I can sit here and think about the past year and all the stuff I did not blog about.

Like roundabouts.  They are going to construct another one here.  I hate them as many of you already know.  Most of the drivers in my community apparently cannot read and if they can they do not understand what 'yield to all traffic' means.  They think it means that if they pull out right in front of you and do not get hit that they have done okay.  I could go on, but why bother.  Although I have yet to figure out how you can have fewer fatal accidents at intersections where you never had any to begin with.

Two years ago around this time an elected Republican told me that I shouldn't worry too much about the newly elected POTUS as the party would rein him in and control him.  I'm still waiting for that posse with the horses and reins to appear.  What's up Shelley?

Climate Change.  Yeah, the climate changes.  Has been doing that for millions of years.  But I fail to see how folks can bury their heads in the sand and not think our way of life has something to do with it.  Nuf said.

On a more personal note, I said little or nothing about my yoga injury one year ago.  After much pain, tests and therapy it all comes down to degenerative disc disease in my spine which I have had for at least the last 20 years.  Started in my neck, but now is throughout the spine.  In the last ten years I have lost one and one-half inches in height.  Unfortunately, the associated weight does not just disappear, just compacts.  So, in the new year I will try to follow my Weight Watchers plan a little more closely.  Wish me luck.

And also personal, we had a death in the family last week.  An uncle who was 94 finally succumbed to old age.  That meant a trip to the funeral home for me, something I do not enjoy.  It also meant running into folks I had not seen since the last funeral on that side of the family - well, actually, my father's brother married my second cousin on my mother's side, so it's really both sides of my family.  Anyway, I had not seen their son since the 1960's.  Long story, but suffice it to say that he lives overseas and is no longer an American citizen.  You all should be very proud of me for not slugging this cousin, who I never liked in the first place, while I listened to him rant against Teresa May, Angela Merkel, Macron, the European Union, the Democrats and to cap it off telling me why we need to build a wall.  He said that folks need to have a job before they enter out country and I pointed out to him that none of our ancestors did.  Waste of time.  He also informed me that if European countries had not gone into Africa and conquered those countries, people there would still be living in huts.  That's when I decided it was time for me to leave.  I am sure they were just as happy with their huts as our Native Americans were happy living in tents and rock walls.  Conquering was never about making life better for the natives, but don't get me started.

And then yesterday, a call from American Express to tell me that someone had tried to make three purchases with my card.  A card that I keep at home and only use for online purchases.  Thank you American Express for your diligence.  I mean really?  Someone tried to purchase a Zoosk.com membership.

It is another gloomy day here, but today we will have more light than we had yesterday, which makes me very happy.  I have not gotten out my camera and taken any pictures yet, but Charlie has so here is one of the Christmas tree.  A little blurry, but not bad for a four year old.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely tree!
    I wish you luck with your effort to lose weight! What helps me is a low-calorie food intake + the minimal 7 hours of sleep. Yes, sleep is a great metabolic booster.

    As for climate change. We could do a lot about air polution , especially if people will cooperate by giving up cars and closing certain factories. It will do a lot of good to our health and planet, but I'm afraid it won't influence climate. We're helpless about that. It's all in God's hands.
    We could, however, do a lot about preparedness and coping with reality (evacuation methods, power outages, etc..), but nothing else. And it looks bad. They say islands and seaside towns are going to be swallowed by the oceans.
    Hoping New Year will bring better news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a series recently that highlighted flooding issues in New York, London, Tokyo, and Miami. Really rather scary. I have enough trouble just dealing with high water table issues on my property.

      Delete
  2. These are harsh times for a lot of people. I think of the families whose income has been cut off due to a certain individual (Individual 1?)'s temper tantrums while people do not understand just what these civil servants do from us - everything from guarding us at airports to providing all our weather reports. Meanwhile, we just talk while climate change overwhelms us. I know someone whose daughter ended up moving from California to her native New York State after the California fires of last year. Good luck with Weight Watchers,or as it is now known, WW, because there is a whole new rebranding going on with them. I haven't ranted about it yet on my blog, but I'm close. Old Age isn't for sissies, that's for sure. And a number of people I know have suffered losses; this fall has not been good for many of us. I'm sorry for your loss and for what you went through at the funeral. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And many of those essential employees will be required to work without pay. Hard to have a Merry Christmas with no pay check.

      Delete
  3. Don't start me on roundabouts! I used to live a town that had the most in the UK, and it was known as Doughnut City! You've certainly had quite a year, and there's a lot for you to leave behind. Hopefully your gloomy day will be followed by a star-lit night and a Christmas as bright as your tree!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We already have four roundabouts. Fortunately they put the kibbosh on two others that were planned.

      Delete
  4. One of the cities in Northern Arizona put in a lot of roundabouts and their accident rates went up. I too don't like them. Seems like people don't understand the concept of yield.

    I don't talk too much about politics on blog comments since I'm not totally 100% up on all that is going on, but I do say with those coming into our country, I wish they would do it legally and then once they are there that they would learn the language. I couldn't work where we used to live in Southern California 10 miles from the border because I wasn't bilingual. I had to drive 20 miles to find a job that didn't require it. And then I always say about my dad who emigrated here to the states from Poland after WW2. He had to get a sponsor here that would guarantee that he would get a job and then become a citizen. The sponsor was an uncle of his who was willing to take him on since he was single, but not willing to sponsor a family of five. My dad did get a job and became a citizen and had learned English before he got here. So that's my feelings about immigration.

    Merry Christmas! I hope your day is a great one with family!

    Good luck with efforts to reduce calorie consumption. It can be done! I'm living proof of being 50 plus pounds down over last year.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandfather both came in 1913. They both had sponsors, though no jobs. I visited California in 1975. My husband and I went into a Sears store near Santa Barbara and had a hard time finding a sales person who spoke decent English. Similar trying to get help from a call center today.

      I just need to lose about 15 pounds, but not easy when activities are limited.

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  5. Oh, dear. Sounds like you are having a stressful holiday. At least you have Charlie. I hope the rest of the holiday is more fun! Best wishes for a happy Christmas and a good new year.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.