Sunday, November 18, 2018

Double Chocolate Muffins

Charlie is always wanting to bake something.  If I am in the kitchen, he is dragging one of the stools over to help.  Well, I am sure that urge will disappear over the next ten years or so, lol.  Anyway, he wanted to make something and I had to come up with a recipe that did not involve a mixer and that I could use what I had on hand.  I always have chocolate so I came up with this muffin recipe which turned out pretty good.

Double Chocolate Muffins

Makes 12

4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup greek yogurt
2 Tbsp milk
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a large mixing bowl, add melted butter and both sugars.  Whisk until combined.  And eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition.  Add vanilla, salt, and baking powder.  Whisk till well-combined.

Place cocoa powder and flour in sifter.  Mix yogurt and milk in small bowl. 

Add 1/3 of flour/cocoa mixture to bowl and slowly stir in with spatula.  Add 1/2 of yogurt and mix in.  Add another 1/3 of flour and slow mix.  DO NOT BEAT mixture.   Add remaining yogurt.  Mix.  Add remaining flour and mix until well-combined.  Fold in chocolate chips.  (I used semi-sweet)

Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and spray liners with baking spray.

(TIP: If you have a dishwasher, set the pan in the dishwasher and spray it.  That way you do not have spray all over the kitchen.)

Using a scoop, fill each cup about 2/3 full.  All muffin tins are not created equal, so I ended up making only 11  muffins.

Bake for 18-20 minutes.  Muffins are done when tops spring back lightly when touched.  Cool in pan 10 minutes.  Enjoy.

7 comments:

  1. If I hadn't baked a cake last night we'd be having this this morning! How important do you find unsalted butter? I usually skip recipes calling for it, because I'm not going to buy something special like that. Recipes didn't use to call for unsalted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only buy unsalted butter. I prefer to salt separately. Salt levels in butter vary from brand to brand. I suppose you ciuld ude salted butter and eliminate the salt in the recipe. The salt is only there to enhance the flavor.

      Delete
    2. oh, I hate typos. That should say 'could use'.

      Delete
  2. Great tip, putting pan in dishwasher to spray oil. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.