Thursday, June 28, 2018

June 28, 1969 Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia

My diary says that I slept most of the day.  Well, I do remember enjoying just walking around this city.  Here is a nice photo of the harbor:
Dubrovnik Harbor1
By Bizutage [CC BY-SA 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons

I am guessing that we originally thought of this as a rest stop.  And the opportunity to visit a communist country.  This was the time of the President-for-Life, Josip Tito.  I recently had a workman in my home who was from Macedonia.  He said that his parents lived in Yugoslavia under Tito and they said that it was better than than it is now after the break-up of the country.

Dubrovnik serves as the setting for the city of Canto Bight in Star Wars: The Last Jedi.  Fans of HBO's Game of Thrones may recognize the walls of the city.
1 dubrovnik pano
By Chensiyuan [CC BY-SA 4.0], from Wikimedia Commons

My pictures of the harbor leave a lot to be desired.


I spent $42.50 today including a plane ticket for our departure.

10 comments:

  1. Nice. I wonder if you had any problems entering a communist country?
    What a truly Grand Tour this has been, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were shocked. For a communist country, it was no different than anyplace else.

      Delete
  2. We certainly didn't have any problems entering a communist country. Lovely to see the harbour picture of course because we were moored there. I also remember being on he beach and seeing a snake - on the beach?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely! We'll be stopping there as well. Interesting to know that it was in better shape as a communist country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be interesting to know what has changed. It is certainly more expensive!

      Delete
  4. My son spent six months in Russia a couple of years ago. Hard to imagine, but he thought there were many people, especially in the smaller cities, who were better off under the Soviet Union. I would love to see Dubrovnik and the Adriatic coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience in Russia was the same. My guide was very wealthy. The majority of the people are very poor. There is no middle class.

      Delete
  5. Wow, flights were inexpensive back then! Looks like a beautiful area!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything was inexpensive back then, Betty.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, the photos are different. But probably a lot has changed there since then, eh?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.