Wednesday, June 27, 2018

June 27, 1969 Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia

Good guesses on where we were stopping.  I wish we had included Turkey on our itinerary, but never considered it at the time.  We did consider Morocco as a side trip from Spain and wish we had done that also.

My younger readers may be wondering where Yugoslavia is.  It is now Croatia, at least this part is.  I blogged about this in 2013.

Shar and I and the two men we met on the ship disembarked  and the two gentlemen walked us to our hotel, the Grand Hotel Imperial.    The hotel opened in 1897 and is now owned by Hilton.  It will cost you about $350 a night now.  The men then walked back to the ship.

Shar is convinced she is in love with George.   George is going to London to live with his sister and we decide to change our return home so that we go through London instead of Paris. 

I have no information on what time we arrived or what we did that day.  I think I was just glad to be on something that wasn't moving.

Here at least is a picture of me in the city harbor wearing the dress and belt that I bought in Athens. Alas, it is not a full-shot so you cannot tell how short it is.

Expenses today are $5.93.

11 comments:

  1. That's a pretty color of the dress! Oh to be young and to be convinced one is in love after barely knowing someone :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, this is full of coincidences. I was in Dubrovnik about a month later than you. The architecture of the town was very immpressive. However, my mother and I both looked somewhat Germanic and so were not treated very well as they Yugoslavians still hated them after the war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember really liking it there. As I wrote in a previous post during A to Z, we were really surprised that this was a Communist country. So 'Americanized' at the time. I recently had a repairman in the house who said that his parents thought their country, they are now in Macedonia, was better run under Tito than it is now.

      Delete
  3. Not the destination I was expecting. ☺ Ah, there's nothing like a little holiday romance. Looking forward to reading how that turned out for your friend. Love your series, Denise! We'll be visiting Dubrovnik in the fall, so I'm hoping you'll have more on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be curious to read about your experiences.

      Delete
  4. My cousin, who lives in Graz, Austria always went to Dubrovnik for her holidays...it was their Florida. One day I would like to visit this city. I like the belt and the dress colour is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classic dress! Good taste! As I'm reading these -- like this one where the guys walked you too the hotel-- I'm just so blown away by how different the world was then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had the same reaction. We were so trusting for the most part (see those Italians). And everyone? was so welcoming (see the French).

      Delete
    2. And here I thought the French were supposed to be such a rude lot!

      Delete
    3. The French were the rudest. Thst is why I put that ? mark by everyone.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.