Tuesday, May 8, 2018

May 8, 1969

Stratford-Upon-Avon.  We left early in the morning from Russell Square and headed northwest to Stratford.  We saw beautiful Tudor homes in the suburbs of London.  Passing into the county of Buckingham we stopped at the Dashwood Arms in West Wycombe.  Doesn't that sound so romantic?  And they are still there!  I could write a book about all the restaurants that have closed in West Bloomfield just since I moved here in 1972.  As a matter of fact, I cannot think of one that still exists.  Even McDonald's left town.

From there we went on to Oxford University.  I still remember thinking it looked so much nicer than the university I attended.
1 oxford aerial panorama 2016
By Chensiyuan [CC BY-SA 4.0], from Wikimedia Commons

From there it was on to Warwick for lunch at the Porridge Pot, which is now the Harvester.  I made no mention of what we ate but I am guessing it was not porridge.  From there we went to Warwick Castle where the Earl of Warwick and his family lived.  We did not get asked to tea, alas.
Warwick Castle May 2016
By DeFacto [CC BY-SA 4.0], from Wikimedia Commons

I seem to recall seeing pheasants roaming the property.  Then again, it was 49 years ago and I have trouble remembering if I shooed geese out of my yard this week or last week.

Leaving the castle we went on to Stratford to visit Shakespeare's birthplace and Anne Hathaway's cottage.
Anne Hathaway's cottage

When I had my lengthy slide-show upon returning home, 410 slides, edited of course, one of my relatives had to be a smart--- and ask who lived in Anne Hathaway's cottage.  Ugh!  Relatives.

On the way home we stopped in Banbury for tea and Banbury cakes along with some other assorted pastries.  I made note of how delicious they were.

The drive back to London took us through Bicester, Aylesbury and Tring.  Along the 212 mile route we saw the church where Sir Winston Churchill is buried in High Wycombe, two of the Rothschilds estates and the home of Yehudi Menuhin.

Something to remember from our driver:  "We don't have a climate in England - we only have weather."  Rain and about to rain.

Paying for the hotel and the tour I spent $21.23.

Tomorrow we are on to the continent.

BTW, if I have anything wrong regarding cities or spelling, just blame it on my youth.

14 comments:

  1. I like the driver's comment about weather in England. Seems though that you didn't get too much rain while you were there?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. A proper culture trip. Your spellings were spot on but if I'm to be finickerty, Stratford is UPON Avon! You youngsters!

    Welcome to Keith's Ramblings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duly noted! But I'd rather have youth on my side than geography.

      Delete
  3. And $20+ for the day was still hefty, even though you got a lot for the cost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three nights in the hotel and the cost of the tour plus food. I'm guessing I ate a lot of pastry, lol.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to say I never went to Stratford UPON Avon - in fact I toured very little of England - I was too busy crossing the Channel. Sorry the Grevilles didn't invite you to tea, how unfriendly of them.

    Been to Stratford on Avon in Ontario though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been there too. Love going to the plays.

      Delete
  5. I have wanted to see Warwick Castle forever. My friend Sharon and I were co-writing a fantasy story that took place in a cottage by the castle. Unfortunately Sharon passed away two weeks ago while waiting on the heart transplant list in Philly. But I sure treasure that story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I only have vague memories of the castle and obviously no pictures of my own.

      Delete
  6. Oh this looks like a lovely place to visit and walk around. Does this spark any memories of those long ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of memories and even more in the retelling.

      Delete
  7. What a great trip you had. 410 slides, phew! We never got to that part of England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so want to go back. Just too many places to see and too many other things to do.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.