Wednesday, May 9, 2018

May 9, 1969

My father's birthday and a travel day for us.  What  a day!  We rushed to catch the bus to the airport.  We rushed through the airport.  We finally arrive in Paris and what happens?  Sharlene's luggage is not on the plane.  We sat around for two hours waiting for it to arrive on another flight.  And then it was off to our hotel.

'ArrivĂ©e aujourd'hui finalement'.  I actually wrote that in the diary.  Back when I still remembered my French.  I spoke French and Shar spoke Spanish so we figured we could survive the language challenges.

The Hotel Claude Bernard at 43 Rue des Ecoles on the Left Bank is still in operation (and now costs $329 a night).  Back then I described it as 'fabulous'.  The Seine is just a few blocks away.

We rode the subway and messed up by sitting in '1eme classe' when we should have been in '2eme classe.'  Oh, well.  A rookie mistake.

I spent $5.60.  I am guessing that was some food and the subway.

11 comments:

  1. What did the hotel cost at that time? i should look through my old travel diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I get to checkout I'll let everyone know.

      Delete
  2. I don't remember a first and second class in the metro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankly, I do not remember it when I was there in 1999.

      Delete
  3. Wow, $320 a room now. Will be interested in what you paid when you report it later on.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be a great experience travel...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bit different from the cheap and cheerful'la pensions' I usually stay in when I go to Paris!

    Welcome to Keith's Ramblings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, wait till you see how cheap it was back then, lol.

      Delete
  6. So you flew from London to Paris, D? Was that your only option? I recall there being a ‘hydrofoil’ (I think) connecting France with England, although I never used it. I bet no one in 1969 imagined a tunnel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That ticket to Paris was part of our plane ticket when we originally purchased the airfare. It meant that we were restricted to the days we would have in London.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.