Sunday, September 3, 2017

The Sandhill Crane

Not too far away from me they tore down an old elementary school to put in a small subdivision.  They only have one model home built, but I thought I would drive past yesterday to see the layout of the sub.  Imagine my surprise when I was driving through to see these glorious sandhill cranes.

It is not that I have never seen them around here before, but it has been many, many years.  I would occasionally see them along the creek bank behind my home.  It is much more common to see snowy egrets and blue herons.  I only have to wonder where they will go once the development commences in earnest.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They are truly stunning. I only wish I had my camera with me. I had to rely on my cellphone.

      Delete
  2. What a treat. I never would have known what they were. Now I do. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go back this afternoon with my camera and see if they are still there.

      Delete
  3. Lovely aren't they? We saw some up close and fairly personal in Florida. We were staying on a mobile home park with a pond/lake which is where the cranes appeared to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw them again this afternoon. Beautiful.

      Delete
    2. I have never heard of them before. They are amazing! I hope they get rehomed.

      Click to visit Keith's Ramblings

      Delete
  4. We used to have lots of critters around our house. It was farmland when we moved into the development. We had to fight the raccoons to keep them out of the cat food, but they were so cute. Then they took the field out. We seldom see any wild critters now even though there's still a small field. I always wonder where they went, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for the grouse and foxes, I now see many more animals than ever before. We now have coyotes and I think they are living in the forested wetland behind me.

      Delete
  5. They almost look like they have been staged there

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.