Monday, September 4, 2017

The Sandhill Crane - Part Two

My fascination with the beautiful sandhill crane continues today.  Yesterday I drove back to where I saw the birds on Saturday and they were still there.  When I went around the block to pick up Charlie so he could see them, they must have flown off, because when we got back to the development, they were gone.  I do know that it is time for them to migrate to Florida - typical Michigan snowbird.

I went online to see what I could learn about them and found out that they are believed to be the oldest living species of bird, having existed for 9 million years in their present form.  They can stand up to five feet tall and have a wingspan of six to seven feet.  There is a sanctuary for them here in Michigan with around 9,000 of them in summer.

Here are some of the photos I took yesterday with my camera:
 Sandhill cranes are very wary of humans so I tried to stay in my car.
"You go your way and we'll go ours"
I love a parade

12 comments:

  1. You got some terrific shots there Denise. What a pity they had flown away by the time you picked up Charlie. They may not yet have left though, keep your eyes open. I had no idea the species was that old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may just drive over again today. There were two people walking around the site yesterday, so they may have scared them away.

      Delete
  2. I also love the Crane Parade. They are very regal-looking animals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great looking birds and you are so lucky to have been able to get so close to them. I hope your little grand boy can see them

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look pert near as tall as an ostrich. Gorgeous birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These birds and your captures of them are gorgeous! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were able to get some really good pictures. We were eating in a restaurant last week in Wichita and saw one of those cranes fly down to the lake by the window. It was absolutely awesome to see that wing span!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember eating at a place in Oregon along the Pacific and seeing pelicans swoop in for dinner. It was quite impressive. Birds are amazing.

      Delete
  7. You took great pictures of the birds! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Wonderful pictures and videos. Enjoyed!! Thank you. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.