Friday, September 15, 2017

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - September Edition 2017

Wow.  What a long, dry summer for us.  While many areas around me got plenty of water, most days our Doppler radar looked like this.  That's me where the red marker is.  My plants struggled and today I will likely go turn on the hoses again.

Today is Garden Bloggers Bloom Day and I am joining Joyce and others to show you my garden.  Hop on over and see what others are growing at May Dreams Gardens.

And now, more pictures, less talking.







The changing limelight hydrangeas:

A pretty little Hosta 'Gold Standard' under this hydrangea hedge.  Love the lime colors together.
Helenium started from seed back in the 1970's and still hanging in there:

The only blossom on the Midnight Marvel hibiscus, thrips having destroyed all the others long before they got a chance to form.

Garlic chives.  These spread like crazy so these flowers will be cut soon, but the bees love them.
See that clematis vine.  I found this lying on the ground and bought a support for it.  There have not been clematis in this area for several years so I have no idea what this will look like if it ever blooms.
Here are some of the wild grasses growing and blooming:


Colorful berries on viburnums:

And colorful leaves:
Lots of tall sedums in various shades of pink, red...





I love sedums and they love the dry soil.  On the plus side too, deer and rabbits do not eat them.  I would have shown you some lovely red rose buds, but the deer ate them all.  My fault for not spraying them with repellent.
Quickfire hydrangeas in the new front bed 
 Katsura tree
White birch starting to change color.  It's fall.  

Have a great day and don't forget to check out what others have posted.  Thanks for stopping by.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful blooms!
    Love all those gorgeous Sedums, especially the pink!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lea. Need to hop over and look at your blooms later today.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous flowers. Even before Irma we'd had 12 inches above normal of rainfall. My flowers are a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that always the problem? Too much rain or not enough.

      Delete
  3. Love all the flowers, so nice to see. The grounds round our building are such a mess with the builders. I suppose, eventually, a landscaper will be called in. I hope, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you keep watering. As usual, I love your garden. What an abundance of sedums. We have no room for hydrangeas, so I'll just borrow (virtually) some of yours. Katsura is a new one to me, believe it or not. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a lot of color in your September garden and I especially love the limelight hydrangea and collection of Sedums. All the berries are wonderful too. It's nice to see when a garden has interest, even as we go into fall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is beautiful Denise and so colourful with not just flowers, but the grasses and colourful leaves as well. The hydrangeas are glorious and probably my favourite. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to be a gardener like you one day- maybe next spring and summer I can get in a few more plants. We've just been so busy working on the yard, laying a patio, fixing irrigation and putting in drainage, we could not really put in the hard work of a garden. But my husband assures me, we will have gardens soon. It will be a process once we get done with all the "yucky" part of making our yards better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been here 45 years and I am still landscaping. Seems like I am never done.

      Delete
  8. Really lovely. Obviously your garden is a labor of love. We enjoy our succulents but we don't get the volume of blooms or the changing seasonal colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mystery clematis, how exciting. I love surprises. Maybe next year it will bloom and you will certainly have to share it with us on GBBD.
    Keep those garden hoses going because your garden is great.
    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still lots of beautiful blooms. I love the limelight hydrangea. I just put one in a few weeks ago. The sedum are beautiful too. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.