Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Heat Wave

After the death of Marilyn Monroe in August, 1962, one of the Detroit radio stations had a contest.  They asked listeners to name the movies she had appeared in with the winner receiving movie tickets and an album of her songs.  Well, I won the contest. 

This would be a snap today because we would all 'google' Marilyn Monroe movies and there they would be.  I seem to remember listing around 25 of them.  I had a huge collection of movie star magazines and directories and I went through them to find what I needed.

The LP I received (that's a long-playing vinyl record for you youngsters) had the song "Heat Wave" on it from "There's No Business Like Show Business".  I listened to that album so many times I can still sing along with every song.

I found myself singing the song in the car today.  I also began to wonder what was the hottest summer in Michigan after seeing today's papers.  I found some information at the National Weather Service.

In the summer of 1953 my family moved into my aunt's home in Detroit while she and her husband went off to Italy to visit relatives.  A girl down the block from her had polio and we were all told that we had to stay indoors.  I am guessing that the summer of 1953 would have been the one when us children were told that running under the sprinklers would cause polio.  No A/C in those days.  I spent a lot of the time in my aunt's basement.

For some reason I do not remember the hot summer of 1964, but I sure do remember 1988.  It was my first election.  All I had was an August primary.  I will never forget standing at the polls on election day.  It was unbearable.  It was the hottest August 2 ever recorded in Michigan.  A hot 100 degrees.

According to the National Weather Service, 1995 was the hottest summer ever.  I really don't have much recollection of that year.  I must have been working too hard. 

So, it will be interesting to see where this year registers when it is all over.  My outdoor thermometer is predicting rain.  HAH!  I've seen that before.  I am sure it rained somewhere recently, just not here.  Maybe I should start singing "Baby, It's Cold Outside".  The power of positive thinking.

Update:  http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/will-2010-be-warmest-year-on-record-globally/19639863

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.