Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Here Today; Gone Tomorrow

Bright and early tomorrow a crew will arrive to remove two trees from my yard.  This is the third time this season I have had tree work done.

Early in the spring I had a company remove two mugo pines that were split in two by heavy snow.  They also hauled away birch branches which had come down in an ice storm.

A couple of months later I had a crew trim out all the deadwood and water sprouts on the trees.

And now, two entire trees will be removed, a white birch and a sweet gum.  The birch tree was planted in 1973.  While healthy, it continues to lose branches from storms.  Its companion birch tree literally 'bit the dust' many years ago.  I woke one morning about 20 years ago to see it laying across the driveway.  Fortunately, I only live a mile from the old office and so I called and asked if someone could come pick me up.

The sweet gum tree was planted about 40 years ago.  I had no idea it was such a messy tree.  My husband and I just liked the leaves.  It has grown quite tall.  But it too has had branches come down.  And, while they have fallen in the yard so far, the tree overhangs my bedroom and when the wind starts howling, I start freaking out.

So, tomorrow I will bid them goodbye.  And I will no longer worry about them falling, dropping leaves, spiky gum balls, messy birch seeds....  Aahhhh.  The birch and gum below.




6 comments:

  1. Ooh...I love trees but I understand the issues. I hope you can replace them with hardier trees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have other trees but Mother Nature has been cruel this year. At this point in my life I am no longer planting anything new.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy. I love trees but I don't love the messes some of them leave. If only they could clean up after themselves. I've been putting off tree work and I need to get it done. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have 3 of those sweet gum trees in the front yard and I love their Fall color. My husband would love to cut them down because of those itchy balls that make it hard to use the blower. They provide so much needed shade on our hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is the one that had heart rot. I had that same problem in a crabapple, but that tree was growing fungi so I knew something was wrong. I will miss the shade and the beaut leaves, but I no longer have to sleep in the guest room when we have a bad storm.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.