Monday, November 9, 2020

Spring Again - in November

UPDATE:  make that summer again.  It is now 77 degrees F outside.  Ridiculous.

Michigan's weather has always been a little crazy.  There have been years when we have already had snow.  Like this year when snow flakes fell a few weeks ago.  Now, spring has returned.  My friend even has daisies blooming in her garden, though I cut everything down weeks ago.

A week ago I had two spruce trees cut down.  They were both planted in 1973 and have always struggled.  My suspicion is that the landscape company never removed the burlap bags around the roots.  That sure would explain why when I dug around the stumps I found no roots - after 47 years. Both trees had had several dead branches removed, needle cast disease was present and they were not really attractive.  Years of having them sprayed and even injected were to no avail.  So, off with their heads and everything else.  Here are some photos.

Looking out at the street - before

Looking toward the house - before.  I had decided that they added nothing positive to the landscape.

Downfall.  The big blue spruce lying in the street.

Gone.  I had not realized the size of the trunk until the tree was cut down.

This tree, which was growing on one side and had new growth along the trunk as a result of injections, gets ready to fall.

And down.

The view from the street now.  Neighbors said my yard looks huge.  Well, it is a large yard, but the evergreens masked the true size.

I moved a few things around and we will see what everything looks like come the real spring next year.  For now, I have more leaves to clean up and for once, I have decent weather in which to accomplish the fall tasks at hand.

9 comments:

  1. How sad that they have not survived and stupid that they didn’t take the burlap off. You created a really nice front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thing happened to a friend of mine. Her tree went over in a wind storm and the bag was still attached!

      Delete
  2. We too have gone from snow to temperatures that are ridiculous for November. Yesterday it got up to 24 degrees and students were doing water sampling in tee shirts. It's hard to imagine that the root bags were never removed from those trees and you faced the inevitable decision to take them down. Maybe it's time for a couple of hardwoods. A Sugar Malle and an Ohio Buckeye would look wonderful there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a beautiful maple on the side. But, at my age, I have more than enough leaves to clean up, lol.

      Delete
  3. We've had unseasonably warm weather here in Rhode Island, too - 78 degrees yesterday. And yes, we had snow a couple of weeks ago. While some folks may enjoy the summery temperatures, it's indicative of climate change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, according to the guy in the WH, no such thing as climate change. I guess if California is going to get cooler the rest of us will get warmer, right?

      Delete
  4. We in upstate New York are enjoying the heat, but more than that, the clear blue skies that are the exact opposite of the low, dreary clouds we enjoy (not the right term) in a normal November. I expect that, in May, it will snow, just like it did this year. But we haven't gotten above 69 degrees. Still, not complaining. Possible record high today. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am getting a lot more yard work done now that I will not have to do in the spring. Unfortunately, I am seeing a lot of springtime weeds popping up.

      Delete
  5. I'm with your neighbours, your yard does look large. Unseasonably mild here too - who knows what tomorrow will bring!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.