Monday, May 27, 2019

Wandering Through a Frank Lloyd Wright Home

I have blogged on several occasions about Frank Lloyd Wright homes that I have visited.  Last week I made a trip to revisit a home here in Bloomfield Hills.  The last time I was there it was completely empty and was being 'repaired'.  The home is owned by Lawrence Technological University.  When it comes to repairs, it is 'the gift that keeps on taking'.  Nothing like a leaky roof and windows to drown you in bills.

The Affleck House (no relation to Ben) was built in the Usonian style in 1941.  At the time, it was way out in the country away from the noise of the city.  Now, the land abuts Telegraph Road and the noise from traffic was very distracting.  Here are some of the pics I took.  Somehow, I totally missed taking pictures in the master bedroom.  Duh!

The entry where we stood in the damp cold and wind, listening to the traffic while the docent rattled on with interesting information.  But why couldn't we have listened to it inside???
This is the outside light fixture that was designed later by Alden B. Dow.  His home is on my to-see list this summer.
The view to the cantilevered deck.  All I could think about was the folks who live in the very pricey condos around the property having to listen to traffic.
In the entryway of the home, looking up.
The house has no A/C, but there is a cleverly designed bank of windows in the floor that draw cool air up from the outside covered area.
The powder room in the entry.
The designed office that was later a bedroom for a 'surprise' family addition, a young daughter.  Nice, but no privacy at all.
Family areas.
Those two wood rails in the bottom left above and lower right below hide the floor windows I mentioned above.  Below is the view looking back into the foyer from the family areas..


The kitchen, obviously updated.  The maid slid the lower counter next to the stove and stairs led to the lower level.  Mrs Affleck insisted on a partition being build to shield the messy kitchen from her guests.  I'm with her.
 There are windows set in the high wall near the ceiling that would be opened to let the heat out.
Here are some outside views.

That corner window above is in the master bedroom.  It opens in such a way that the corner disappears completely.  Mrs. Affleck did insist on curtains, even though they originally owned eleven acres.  Yes, that kid walked around the entire time with his nose stuck in his phone.  Not sure why his parents brought him.

Hope you enjoyed the view.  I sure did.

12 comments:

  1. I like it! Clean lines, lots of timber and not too fussy. As you say, a shame about the traffic noise - and the weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stood in that little bedroom and thought 'No interior painting'. What a deal!

      Delete
  2. Hi Denise - it looks really interesting ... the traffic noise is understandable now - as urban areas have enclosed the once rural settings. Thanks for letting us join you though ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The area I live in now in suburban Detroit was once the area city folk went to for summer holidays on the lakes. When we moved here 47 years ago it was just starting to jump. We still had dirt roads and stop signs instead of lights. Not anymore.

      Delete
  3. There's a Frank Lloyd Wright house here in the Phoenix area. We drove up to see it but didn't take the tour. We plan on doing it sometime this year. Very interesting house you saw. I would have enjoyed spending time looking at it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must go to Scottsdale and visit his home and school: Taliesen. It is fabulous.

      Delete
  4. Really interesting, Denise - I've always appreciated FLW's designs. Love seeing the rooms up close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The master suite was so cool. He built in a dressing table with storage underneath. I guess I was so enthralled I forgot to take pictures.

      Delete
  5. I would tell that kid there is a test afterwards and, if you don't score 90% you will not have any future phones and the one he has will be taken away for 2 months. OK-Love to see a few some his homes especially Falling Water. I do love the clean lines and the use of brick and wood even though I am more of Nick nacks:) I don't mean to be but it seems to happen. I am so glad it is being preserved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fallingwater is phenomenal. I was just posting some pics on my Pinterest board. I wanted to snatch that phone out if his hand.

      Delete
  6. He was certainly an original thinker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed coming to Oak Park this year for the home tour, which is why I opted to see this house again on the same weekend.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.