Friday, June 15, 2018

June 15, 1969 Rome, Italy

Well, I must be getting tired because my diary recorded this day as 1967.  This morning we rode the bus to Tivoli to visit Villa d'Este.
File:Villa d'Este 01.jpg

The fountains are something I will never forget.
066TivoliVillaDEste

By MarkusMark [CC BY-SA 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons
Returning to Rome we visited the Colosseum, dating to the first century.
Colosseo 2008
By Alessandroferri [CC BY-SA 4.0], from Wikimedia Commons

Have you ever wondered what Europe would look like if it were settled by modern day Americans?  There would be nothing left of its treasures.

The next stop was the Roman Forum and we went 'Roman through the rubble'.
Roman Forum (3334680086)
By Rennett Stowe from USA (Roman Forum) [CC BY 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Some of you may remember my trip to Trier, Germany when I visited the old Roman town.  I love these old ruins.

Unfortunately, Rome is in the midst of a heat wave and we are dying in the heat.  It's back to the hotel for some rest.  Total spent today was $4.65.

8 comments:

  1. Denise, you’re so right! Thank goodness the Americans haven’t decimated Rome’s treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunno about Americans, British museums are full of stuff we "borrowed"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we Americans like to tear things down. I have two books that have been written just about 'old' buildings that have been torn down in Detroit, including the building where I was first employed and the hospital where I worked.

      Delete
  3. Rome is one of the places I've always wanted to visit. I've been fascinated with the Colosseum ever since I found out they could flood the floor and act out pretend water battle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a great documentary on PBS about how they operated the lifts in the colosseum.

      Delete
  4. That would be hard to travel and try to sight see in the midst of a heat wave.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excessive heat must have made sightseeing exhausting. We toured all these fabulous places in 1990, but are going back to Rome this fall. On tap is an in depth, guided tour of the Colosseum, including the underground area. Should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got to go underground in the Trier colosseum.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.