Tuesday, May 29, 2018

May 29, 1969 Montserrat, Spain

As I have previously mentioned I was inspired to read my diary because the very first chapters in Dan Brown's book take place at Montserrat.  Oh, what wonderful memories I have of this day on the mountain.
1 montserrat Santa Maria de Montserrat Abbey Funicular de Sant Joan 2014
By Chensiyuan [CC BY-SA 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons

Santa Maria de Montserrat is a Benedictine Abbey founded in the 11th century.  The current buildings are from the 19th and 20th centuries.  The ride up in a bus was rather nerve-racking.  Maybe it was just the driver.  We rose 4000 feet.  Well, at least we didn't have to climb on foot.
Interior of the dome - Basílica de Montserrat - Montserrat 2014

© José Luiz Bernardes Ribeiro /

Once at the monastery we then road the Catalan Funicular Railroad to the very top.  The view in the first pic is from that vantage point.

On the way back to Barcelona we stopped someplace for a wine tasting.  My only comment in the diary is "Wow. "

Tonight at 9:00 we board a boat for .... Oh, tomorrow you shall know.  Can you guess?

My expenses for today are lumped in with tomorrow's.  I have no idea why I did that some days.

10 comments:

  1. It must have been breathtaking to see in person!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the ride up the mountain certainly was breathtaking.

      Delete
  2. Those crazy Europeans and their driving! I bet the ride up, even if one took it slow, would make me clench my hands into the car seat but bus drivers, taxis..regular folk are nuts with their driving so i can well imagine. The view is breathtaking and the interior...wow!! Just so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he wasn't the worse driver! Just wait for those Italians.

      Delete
  3. 'Wow' really does sum it up perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must have been breathtaking -- not just the ceiling but the view from outside. That's a LONG way up there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous view! I can imagine how nervewracking the trip up the mountain must have been. We had a similar experience travelling by bus through the Alps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of those "rides" can be hair raising, speed and narrow roads. Love that church.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honored to have one of the pics I donated featured here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that donation. All of my pics from 1969 faded badly and so I had to rely on the generosity of others, including you.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.