Sunday, May 13, 2018

Mai 13, 1969

Another travel day.  Yes, this is a whirlwind tour.  The original plan was to see ten countries.  So, one must get a move on.  Today we board the train to travel from Paris to Madrid, Spain.  We have our Eurail Pass good for three months.

We checked out of our Paris hotel and I paid my share of the hotel bill for four nights:  $27.00.  That means the hotel in 1969 was $13.50 a night with breakfast.  Quite the bump to more than $300 a night today.

We board the train in Paris, but during the night we must change trains at the border and exchange our French francs for Spanish pesetas.  No Euros back in the day.

We will be in Spain and Portugal for three weeks so get ready to flamenco dance and eat paella.

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And I'll be craving paella. I haven't made it in ages.

      Delete
  2. Yum on the paella; haven't had it but just a handful or less of times, but always delicious! Your trip definitely was whirlwind back then; good to take it as a youth when one had more energy!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. ¡Espero que lo hayan pasado genial! I wish you hadn't mentioned paella - now I'm going to have to make one!¡Salud!

    Welcome to Keith's Ramblings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in the same boat, or kitchen. It's been ages since I made it.

      Delete
  4. I'm afraid we Brits used to laugh at Americans who travelled around Europe in a few days. We thought you were nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when Brits came to America, how long did they stay?

      Delete
    2. Dunno the answer to that - forever?

      Delete
  5. I’m loving it! I tried to travel as much as I could, too, Denise, when I was there. Never made it to Spain or Portugal, though. Looking forward to the posts to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fun to read about your travels back then. That is quite the jump in price! I love maps so it’s fun to see the maps you showcase here.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.