Sunday, May 10, 2015

It's Mother's Day

This is supposed to be the day when we celebrate Mothers.  Buy them flowers, take them out to dinner, bring them breakfast in bed.  Bah!  For me, my most enjoyable way to spend Mother's Day is cooking for my family.  Which is what I am doing later today.

We are having chicken pot pie with buttermilk biscuits.  I chose it because the chicken and vegetables in the pie are something Charlie can manage.  Grilled ribs would be great and I guess he could chew on a bone or two, but this should be less messy.  And after his first taste of Nutella on home baked bread this week, we already know what messy looks like.  (Kinda reminds me of 'The Joker')

For dessert we are having cannoli.  And I recently discovered the answer to something that has bothered me for some time:  How come my cannoli taste nothing like my favorite ones from a Detroit bakery?

I set out to discover the answer to my question and found online (thanks to Google) that the favorite cannoli that I have been eating since I was a child does not contain ricotta cheese.  The ones made every day at their stores are made with heated heavy cream.  Like a pastry cream, I guess.  Ricotta cheese cannoli are only made for the holidays.  Mystery solved.

So, with that knowledge I set off to make my filling yesterday knowing that mine will always taste different, but still good.  And I cheat, by buying the shells already made.  I have cannoli tubes and have made my own shells before, but I am not out to impress anyone with my kitchen skills.

I made a lot of filling because I had a lot of cheese.  I buy bulk, lol.  Actually, I bought it to make a ricotta cheesecake and then never got around to it.  My filling:

Cannoli Filling

2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, if desired
1/4 tsp cinnamon, optional

Place the ricotta cheese in a strainer lined with cheesecloth and allow to drain, preferably overnight, in the refrigerator.  Discard whey.

Place the drained cheese in a food processor and add the sugar and vanilla.  Pulse several times to achieve a smooth consistency.  (You want to get rid of any graininess in the mix.)

In a bowl, whip the heavy cream until medium firm peaks occur.  Fold the cheese mixture and cream together.  Add chocolate and cinnamon if desired.

Using a pastry bag, fill the cannoli shells a few hours before serving.  Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.  Ends can be dipped in chocolate shavings, chips, or crushed nuts as desired.  Enjoy.

Enjoy your Mother's Day whatever you are planning.

2 comments:

  1. They look good Denise. I have never tried making them, I buy them from a store here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious! It sounds like you will have a great Mother's day:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.