Monday, February 25, 2013

The Morning after 'Oscar'

No, I did not watch the Oscar's last night.  I have reached the point in my life where I just want to know the facts, not all the 'hoopla' preceding the facts.  Besides, with the wonderful Internet, I can catch whatever I missed online, like the James Bond tribute.

I can say that I have seen each and every Bond film ever made.  I find it hard to believe that they have been making them for 50 years.  When 'Skyfall' came out, Richard Hammond of BBC's 'Top Gear' did a tribute to the '50 Years of Bond Cars'.  Wasn't it great to see that classic Aston Martin re-appear in 'Skyfall'?

Last night's montage of Bond clips was nice to see.  And how great was Shirley Bassey?  I actually have the soundtrack album from 'Goldfinger'.  One of these days I will either have my turntable fixed or just buy a new one so I can listen to all of my vinyl albums.

 
 
I am very happy that 'Argo' won for Best Picture.  But, I am very disappointed the Ben Affleck did not even get nominated for directing it.  Hey, Academy!  A picture does not make itself!!!!  If not for Ben's directing skills, 'Argo' would more likely resemble one of our dysfunctional Township Board meetings.
 
I have previously posted about the movie 'Lincoln', so I will not recap.  But here is a link to a commentary by Professor Walter Williams of George Mason University on Lincoln and his positions on slavery.  The good professor also has not seen the movie.  I can honestly say that Williams is one of the few editorial commentators I usually can agree with.  Check him out for yourself.
 
And speaking of Oscars, one of the websites had a list of the 10 worst films that ever won Oscars for Best Picture.  In somebody's opinion, anyway.  While I could agree that other nominated films may have been better, those that won were not 'bad' films, IMO.  I did go through the list of past winners and came up with my least favorite winners, two of which I had named in another post about movies.  There are only four of them that I really disliked, my 'ugh, why did I waste my money?' films.  They are:
 
1994 - Forrest Gump  (Shawshank Redemption should have won IMHO)
1996 - The English Patient
2007 - No Country for Old Men
2011 - The Artist (Midnight in Paris, no question!)
 
I've tried to see all of the past winners of Best Picture, though I must admit that at this point in time some of them are hard to remember.
 
Anyway, I am off to yoga, sunglasses in hand.  We are expecting more snow tomorrow so I had better make the best of today.  If I get snowed in, I can watch movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.