Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Looking Back

I do not spend a lot of my time looking back at what has happened in my life.  It is over and done with and I prefer to move forward (though that fall that shattered my leg in 2007 still haunts me - mostly the ensuing weight gain it caused). 

I did, however, look back at my first post on this blog three years ago to see what I said and what my intent was.  I find that not much has changed.  I am still cooking (though no longer taking culinary classes or volunteering in a pastry kitchen), watching TV, and reading.  Gardening, travel, friends, all still there to pass my time.  I have added yoga classes which has been a huge plus in my life.

The upshot is that I am still enjoying retirement.  I've learned that just as I lived within a budget when I was employed, I still live within one in retirement, though the budget is much smaller.  OTOH, my children are all on their own, my home and car are paid for, and I have fewer wants than needs.

Here is my original post from January 1, 2010.  Seems the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I retired on November 21, 2008. I have spent a good deal of the time since then answering the question (now a big pain in the you-know-what): 'So, how do like retirement?' You would think I had either just returned from experiencing an alien abduction or at least had been the first person ever to survive retirement. EVERYBODY wants to hear the answer.

It's retirement. I love it. I can do what I want whenever I want. Or not do it, too.

When I retired, a long-time friend (that's you Debbie) suggested that I start a blog. Yeah, right. Like I had time to do this. Then I would be wondering, just what DID I do last Friday? It was Friday wasn't it?

So, now that my days and adventures all run together, I have decided to write a blog each night about what has occurred during my day. Sounds boring, I know. And I'll probably not even remember half the stuff.

Today was New Year's Day. I made French Onion Soup and Quiche Lorraine. Both recipes straight out of Julia Child's first cookbook. And the first time I ever made any of her recipes. While cooking I also watched 'The Man from Laramie', Criminal Minds, and 'The Last Days'.

Watching TV, movies and cooking from scratch are all things I didn't get to do enough of when I was employed. Ah, living life. C'est bon.

Now I am off to yoga class and then a trip to Costco - a new sale starts today.  Hope you have a good day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.