Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Book in Every Room

I have often said that if I had a large home, I would definitely have a library.  It would mean that I would not have to periodically clean out books to make way for new ones. 

OTOH, it might lead to more occurrences of what I am currently experiencing, i.e. reading more than one book at a time.

It all started before Christmas when I started cleaning off tables to accommodate decorations (what few I displayed this year) and places for folks to set things down on table tops. 

There in my family room I found a copy of Stephen Colbert's 'America Again...' which I had forgotten that I purchased.  I stopped hat I was doing to begin reading it, finished the first section and set it down on a stack of books.  When I did, I discovered a history of Wayne State University in photographs that I decided to browse later that evening.  The book was a gift from the University President the year before.

I flipped to the section covering the years I attended Wayne and found a picture of a rally held on October 15, 1965.  The rally protesting the Vietnam war was attended by mostly male students, but I found myself there when my sociology instructor decided we should view it first-hand.  And that book was also placed back in the stack.

Now, I did read over the holidays, just not those two books.  And then last week I picked up 'The Last Coyote' by Michael Connelly.  I think I am in Chapter 3 and moving slowly.  There are two reasons for that.

1)  I bought a collection of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes adventures.  I began reading 'A Study in Scarlet'.  I've seen it dramatised, but I have always wanted to read the written words of Sherlock.

2)  I also bought Dan Austin's book 'Forgotten Landmarks of Detroit'.  This is fascinating.  I never cease to be amazed at how we tear down our buildings in this country and then travel to Europe to see structures that were built over 1,000 years ago and still stand.

I am volunteering at the Library tomorrow which should afford me the chance to read.  Or not, if we are busy in the shop.

I still have 39 hours of MI-5 to finish watching which is one reason I don't have time to DVR everything on television.  Between my long list of books to read, dramas to watch, movies to see, yoga, chores, sleep, eating... well, you get the picture.

I just do not have enough time.  How can people say they are bored in retirement?  I have just too much I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.