Friday, October 26, 2012

Twist - and 'Shout'

This was supposed to be a good day for running errands.  The plan was to shower, clean the bathroom, head to yoga and then run some errands.  The plan collapsed during the 'clean' phase.

If you are anywhere near my age, you will understand exactly how this happens.  You are going along 'great guns' and then, 'Oops'.  I bent down to put a bottle of lotion under the bathroom sink and the next thing I knew my hip was killing me.  Somehow I just 'zigged' when I should have 'zagged', or whatever.

For the last four hours I have been doing the 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, 'icing routine'.  That gel pack in the freezer always comes in handy. 

At least at this point I can walk without limping.  But I can still feel this muscle knot right above the iliac crest.  It feels like someone stuck a golf ball in there.

I have a friend who says that getting old is not for sissies.  She is right.  But as folks say, it beats the alternative.  And I often wonder how bad these 'twists' in my life would be if I wasn't active. 

I really wish that in that 40 year span between college graduation and retirement I had spent more time worrying about keeping my muscles and joints in shape.  But thank goodness I made the effort that I did, as little as that seems to me.  At least I am up and around.  Losing four hours of activity to a wrong move is better than losing days or weeks.

So, if you are sitting at your computer reading this, whatever your age, get up and move when you are done.  You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.