Friday, October 26, 2012

At the Movies

Last week I did something I had not done in a few years - I went to the movies.

Growing up I went to the movies almost every week along with other kids in the neighborhood.  Our parents would take turns driving us to the Eastwood Theatre.  It cost fifty cents for a double feature with previews and a cartoon.  Ah, those were the days.

My last movie theatre experience was to see the last installment of the 'Harry Potter' movies.  I chose an early afternoon showing on a weekday.  There was only one other woman in the theater when four senior citizens walked in.  They were laughing and giggling and once they sat down they turned around to where I was sitting and said, "Don't mind us, we like to talk during the movie". 

I politely told them that if they did, I would be finding a manager and have them thrown out.  IMO, if you want to talk, wait for the DVD, rent or buy it and make your own d--- popcorn.

My worst movie experience was going to see an art film with maybe ten people in the entire theater.  I was all settled in when some woman came and plopped down next to me and then told me to move my arm because I was using her armrest.  WTF?  I told her to look around the theater and find another seat. 

Since I had had other experiences of people talking, texting, rustling candy wrappers, kids kicking the seat, well, you get the idea, I finally decided to just wait for the DVDs myself.  And then I found that there were no movies left in my Netflix queue that I really wanted to see.  I was all caught up, for all intents and purposes.  So, off to see Argo in the theater.



What a great movie.  Even knowing the ending, I was on the edge of my seat.  (If you go to see it, stay around for the end credits and hear Jimmy Carter.  Don't jump out of your seat and run to your car.)

I saw lots of previews.  Many looked quite interesting.  I am always dubious when it comes to trailers and fear that they show the really great parts.  This morning I read two reviews of 'Cloud Atlas'.  One gave it one star and one gave it an A+.  Take your pick.

I've already blogged about what I thought were terrible movies that got rave reviews (though I forgot to mention 'Mama Mia').  At today's theater prices, I'll definitely wait for 'Cloud Atlas' on DVD, if I see it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.