Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fall Food Treats

It's autumn.  Of course, we have lots of falling leaves to clean up and furniture to put away for winter.  We also have lots of fall treats to enjoy.  Especially wonderful squashes and pumpkins - and not just for carving.

I bought butternut squash so I can make my butternut squash soup, which I will promise to post about, with the recipe.  I also love it roasted.  I bought some acorn squash yesterday that I will roast for a tasty treat, filled with butter and brown sugar.

I've decided that this year's Thanksgiving dinner will have glazed yams, recipe courtesy of Shawn Loving, formerly of the Loving Spoonful Restaurant and one of my instructors at Schoolcraft College.  They can be roasted ahead of time and finished just before dinner.

And for dessert, I am going to make a pumpkin chocolate mousse cake, recipe courtesy of Marcus Haight, formerly of The Lark and also at Schoolcraft.  I can make the chocolate chiffon cakes ahead of time and freeze them.

While roaming through Costco last week, I saw a pumpkin bread mix from Krusteaz.  I've always had luck with their products, so I grabbed a box.  Friday night I decided to make a batch of muffins.  I added a 1/2 cup of walnuts to the mix.  Once cooled, I made a quick cream cheese frosting and 'voila', muffins in no time at all.  Or frosted pumpkin cupcakes, if you prefer.

 
When it comes to cooking, this is my favorite time of year.  I've been posting a lot of recipes on Pinterest, so check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.