Friday, September 14, 2012

Working on Emotions - With Sugar

After running my errands on Tuesday I sat in a chair, put my arm on the armrest, and screamed in pain.  It felt like a stake had been driven right through it.  It is likely I injured my elbow cutting tree limbs and only felt the pain when I put direct pressure on it.  I made another trip to my doctor.  I've been there a lot this summer: a neck rash of unknown cause, an adverse reaction to a vaccine, a yeast infection on my skin (likely from working outside in the heat and humidity) and now the elbow.  It may just be badly bruised, so we will wait and see and I will use Aspercreme and ice.

With all of the above, the cable and phone service went out - twice. Then this morning, the power went out for three hours. Well, at least I have a whole house generator.

Of course, the power went out while my coffee cake was in the oven.  Since the timer on the oven was set, I never paid attention to when it went in the oven so I had no idea how long it needed to continue baking.  It came out fine, if a little crispy on the sides.

When I need to work off my emotions, I bake.  If I am not gardening.  And it was raining outside.  So, here is my recipe for Raspberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake.  You might want to try it next time you need to work off your frustrations. 

 

Crumb Topping
5 ounces all-purpose flour
5 ounces sugar
Zest of one lemon
4 ounces melted butter

In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and zest.  Add melted butter and stir until coarse crumbs form.

Cake

9 ounces all-purpose flour
8 ounces sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp Baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3 large eggs
8 ounces sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 ounces fresh raspberries

1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.

2. Whisk eggs, sour cream and vanilla in medium bowl till blended.

3.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients.  Beat until smooth.

4. Spray a 10-inch springform pan with pan spray and line the bottom with parchment.

5.  Spread the batter evenly in the pan and add the berries on top in an even layer also.

6.  Sprinkle the top with the crumb topping.

7.  Bake at 350 degrees until brown on top and tester comes out with few crumbs attached, about one hour.

8.  Allow cake to cool on rack.  Remove from pan and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Make some coffee and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.