Sunday, July 22, 2012

Daylilies on Display

Yesterday I went to the Southeast Michigan Daylily Society Show in Rochester Hills.  It was the first time I ever attended a daylily show even though I have been growing them for almost 40 years. 

I had received an email asking all members to submit daylilies for the exhibit and contest.  Entries could be either on the scape or off the scape.  I had never been to a show and was not sure what the competition would be.  So, I did not enter any of my flowers.

Imagine my surprise when I got there to vote on the crowd favorites for the 'off scape' flowers only to find that some colors only had three entries.  And there was only one entry in the flower arranging category.

Surely I could have entered one of my cream to white flowers like Wedding Band (minus the ant of course):


Or in the yellow to gold category, both Creepy Crawler and Siloam Amazing Grace are still blooming:


Creepy Crawler


Siloam Amazing Grace (off scape)

And then in the red to black red I have lots of Oriental Ruby and Mighty Mogul.


Oriental Ruby


Mighty Mogul

Next year I will be prepared.  I'll watch my flowers as the show nears and decide which to enter.  They say if you don't try you can't win.  And even if I don't win, at least I can show off what I grow.  That is assuming that I have any blossoms with our crazy weather, which I am sure is one reason there were so few entries this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.