Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Happy Mother's Day to All

Before I get busy fixing dinner (yes, I am cooking since it is what I love to do), I want to wish everyone a Happy Mother's Day, including those 'stay at home Fathers' who do most of the child-rearing.

I am not one to set gender roles for people.  That is why I get a tad upset when someone criticizes a woman's decision to go back to work and have her husband stay home and raise the children.  So what!  And it is usually a woman doing the criticizing.

And proving once again that women are their own worse enemies, why do I hear them criticizing a woman's decision to breastfeed?  The cover of Time not being the point of my comment, why make statements like 'In my day we just shoved a bottle in their mouth?'  When exactly was THAT day?

My mother breast-fed and so did I.  Many of my younger friends and colleagues also did so.  That folks, is what breasts are for.  And it is a joy for most women to nourish their child.

And not only are fathers and mothers raising their own children, but grandparents are also raising the children for a variety of reasons.  But to those grandparents who volunteer to baby-sit during the day while their children go back to work, please do not complain to me that you have no time to get your work done at home or have time to rest because you are so busy raising the child.  Being a parent is a full-time job.  I know.  So, either find other arrangements for child-rearing, or just keep smiling.  I am not sympathetic to your complaining.

All of that being said, this should be day to honor anyone who takes being a 'mother' seriously.  It is a very difficult task and you should be honored 365 days a year, not just today.  Happy Mother's Day!

Now, off to the kitchen I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.