Monday, February 6, 2012

Being Scentsible

There is a letter to Dear Abby today regarding someone who is made ill by the smell of mint.  I can certainly relate.

When I was growing up, my mother got sick when she was around carnations.  I used to think she was just trying to get attention, until I found myself getting ill around certain smells, like cigarette odor.

I remember going into the hospital to work one day and being assaulted by a very repugnant odor.  Of course, I blurted out 'What is that awful smell?' before anyone could 'shush' me.  Our new student was wearing some stinky smelling perfume.  I thought the fumigators had been in again (we had a bad bug problem in the old hospital).

Over the years the problem of 'smell' has not gotten any better.  I have had to get up from my 'good' seat at the symphony and move to the back because of someone's overpowering perfume.  (I've also moved my seat because of someone snoring, but that is another topic for discussion.)

Recently, I was in Costco and three different people walked past me just 'reeking' with too much perfume.  When I was leaving, I suggested to the clerk checking my receipt that they should consider having gas masks available for shoppers. 

I do not know what these people are thinking.  I too wear perfume.  I apply it so that only people up close will notice.  I do not try to attract people from half a mile away.

What ever happened to being considerate of other people?  Many, like the woman writing to Dear Abby, do get ill from certain odors.  Out in public, we all need to realize that we are not the most important person in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.