Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Do the math

I just came home from a shopping trip to the grocery store.  For many years I have griped about the cost of milk, which comes from a cow that eats grass, right here in the good old U S of A.  It is now $2.69 a gallon. 

Ridiculous, considering that gas is $3.79 a gallon and has to be shipped from the Middle East and then has to be refined and shipped to us in Michigan.

Anyway, I will no longer gripe about milk.  I am switching my anger to corn, which does not involve cows, tankers, refineries, or pasteurization.  It does involve harvest and packaging and shipping.  But get this:

An 11-ounce can of Green Giant corn was on the shelf for $1.89.  Converting that 11 ounces to liquid measure we get 15.31 ounces.  When we figure out the cost of one gallon of liquid corn, we get $15.80.

$15.80 a gallon???  ARE YOU KIDDING ME????  I think I need to start growing my own crops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.