Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Top-selling Reads

I've talked about many of the books I have read and am reading on this blog.  In a recent email from the West Bloomfield Library, there was a link to a site where I could find out the best sellers in my birth year.  I wondered if I had actually read any of the books, so I gave it a try.

The number one best seller was by Daphne DuMaurier.  While I have read many of her novels, 'The King's General', does not ring a bell.  Then again, I read many of these when I was in high school and college, and cannot remember as well as I used to.

Speaking of ringing bells, number four is 'The Miracle of the Bells' by Russell Janney, a book I do remember.  It made quite an impression on me when I read it in the early 60's.  While trying to find a link for the book (could not), I discovered that a movie existed.  How did I miss that?

OTOH, I never read 'The Snake Pit' by Mary Jane Ward, but I did see the movie

And my affinity for old movies was proven by my never realizing that the movie 'The Egg and I' was actually based on a best selling non-fiction work by 1930's egg farmer Betty MacDonald. 

I think I'll keep the list and see if any of these are available at the library.  Many are out of print, of course.

If you are interested in seeing what the best sellers were when you were born, just click the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.