Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Not all Publicity Makes You Look Good

I am not a big fan of talk shows, whether they are on the radio or TV.  I also am not a big fan of news shows.  I only need to hear something once, not repeated all day long.

When my kids were home, they often watched Bill Maher or Jon Stewart on Comedy Central.  If not for my sons, I would never have known who these performers were.  I would hear them on TV and became familiar with their brand of humor.

So, when I came home from work in 2001 and saw a New York City phone number on my caller ID and then discovered it was from 'The Daily Show', I was prepared for anything.

For background:  During Christmas week in 2000 I went into my office at work to find that the temperature was 56 degrees.  Because I routinely heated my office with a space heater, I turned it on and also left my coat on to keep warm.  (There were many space heaters used in the building, four in our offices alone.)  After about 30 minutes I noticed a strange smell in the room.  I looked down and saw that the fur on my coat had started smoking.  The pants on my pant-suit were scorched.  I ripped off the coat and doused the pants with water.  Needless to say, I was furious!!!

I had long complained about the lack of heat in the building, but had been told to wait and eventually I would complain that it was too hot.  (I am still waiting as I have NEVER had a hot flash.)  Not a good solution as far as I was concerned.

After the coat was repaired, I submitted my $1500 bill to the township.  The Supervisor told the papers I had no business wearing a fur coat to work.  If that was in the dress code, I missed it.  The bill was not paid on a 3-3 split vote.

The story was carried all across the country.  I heard from people I knew in other states.  So, it should have been no surprise that someone from The Daily Show would see it.

When I returned their phone call, the representative indicated that Jon Stewart wanted me to come on the show and discuss the incident.  Having seen the show, I could just imagine that I would be made to look like a fool.  I politely declined.

Now comes the Mayor of Warren and the 'Polka Piracy' incident on the Colbert Report.  He is made to look like a complete doofus and the City fares no better.  Did he expect anything different?  I know that there are politicians who think getting their name out there can't hurt, but this episode sure can't help.  Click on the link and go to the second section of show to see the report.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.