Saturday, May 19, 2018

May 19, 1969 Fatima, Portugal

On the road today in a bus.  Our first stop is Caldas da Rainha.  My diary says we stopped at a monastery there, but online searches show that the nearest monastery is in Alcobaca.  So, who knows.  Without pictures it is a little difficult for me to remember.
Alcobaca - Front
By Ingo Mehling [CC BY-SA 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons

Whatever we visited our next stop is a fishing village in Nazare.  I remember seeing the men with their nets.  Nothing like this view as I recall.
La grande plage de Nazaré - panoramio (20)
Mister No [CC BY 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons
From here we go on to Leiria for lunch.  After lunch we go to Fatima to see the Shrine of Our Lady.
While I remember seeing this:
AnjodePortugal
By Castinçal [CC BY-SA 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons

I do not remember this:
Basilica Fatima
By Andreas Trepte [CC BY-SA 2.5], from Wikimedia Commons
I mean that is quite the complex, but I do not remember it at all.

On the way back we stop in Batalha to see another monastery.
Monasterio dominico de Santa María da Vitória
By Manuel González Olaechea [CC BY-SA 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons

We had tea and sandwiches at the monastery.  Other than going to Fatima, and remembering the fishing nets, the rest of the day is a blank.  I made a note of my allergies acting up and maybe that explains the foggy memory.

The day cost me $1.57.   I'll pay for the tour with tomorrow's hotel bill, so I am guessing they arranged the tour.

8 comments:

  1. Too bad you don't remember that much about this day. Must have been a fascinating tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, when you've seen one religious building, you've seen them all.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes we get memory overload on busy trips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures of these buildings are quite impressive. Must be "super" impressive to see them in person!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another busy day! I particularly like the Shrine of Our Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too liked the shrine. Monastery, hah. They live/d such simple lives!! Some of those palaces are incredible, they went to the sides instead of upwards like most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all know how humble servants of the church like to spend money on themselves.

      Delete
  6. These monasteries are stunning but I understand not being able to remember because they are all of the same time period and have similar facades and artwork. I watched a movie about our Lady of Fatima which is from the 1950's starring Gilbert Rowland(be still my heart). It was all about how the 3 kids saw the Virgin 3 times. When I see the picture of the actual children, it leaves me feeling totally freaked out especially the boy. I have no idea why but it gives me the whillies! Poor boy died in the 1918 flu epidemic.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.