Sunday, September 27, 2026

The Last Blooms of Summer

I have not blogged much about my garden this year.  That is because this is the worst summer I can remember.  Hot and very humid.  Wake up to 98% humidity when there is no rain in the forecast.  Can't see out of the windows because they are covered with mist.  

I tried to mow the lawn the other morning and the lawnmower jammed because the grass was still damp.  It was no better by the afternoon.  I have no idea how my daylilies fared this year because I never went out into that garden area to look at them.  Too hot in the sun.

Anyway, I ventured out this morning and took a few photos of what is still blooming.  Everything is covered with dew.  This afternoon I will continue the fall cleanup.  Takes forever because my spinal issues limit me to no more than two hours a day of bending over.  Getting old is not for the weak of mind or spirit.

And now...

The tall grasses.  These will stay up for the winter and be cut back in the early spring.

Quick-fire Hydrangea.  This was moved from the front yard after the deer chewed it to nubs.  Finally, it has come back.

Hydrangea.  A gift from a friend so no idea what kind.  But it is one that is cut back in the spring and new growth appears.

Knock-out Rose. The last surviving bush.  Most were destroyed by deer before the yard was fenced.

The full rosebush.
 
Ah, fall.  So happy to welcome you.

8 comments:

  1. You still have nice blooms despite the weather. It's so frustrating to have high humidity and little rain. At this time of year, my yards look tired. Like their owner. I just bit the aging bullet and paid someone to do most of the cleanup of my front and back yards. I had let things go too long. Alana ramblinwitham,blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have hired someone to do my spring cleanup and mulching. He also cuts back all the tall grasses. It really helps.

      Delete
  2. I don't have a garden, just a balcony and most summers it comes alive with tubs of flowers. This year thanks to 5 official droughts, record temperatures and a hose pipe ban it was a disaster! Next, bulbs. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I no longer water except for potted plants. But it was so humid this year I didn't have to.

      Delete
  3. Our summer weather was just as bad, Denise. You still have some gorgeous blooms, though. Thanks for the show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden photos are beautiful, but your words are what really made me stop and read. Even after such a brutal summer, you still found the strength to venture out and share the beauty that’s hanging on. The dew-covered blooms are gorgeous!

    I always enjoy your garden posts, and I hope you know how much your readers appreciate the time, honesty, and heart you put into sharing them. Please keep posting when you can. Your garden doesn’t have to be perfect to be worth celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words.

      Delete
    2. Denise,

      I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your perspective is both intriguing and thoughtful, and your writing left me curious to learn more about the person behind the words.

      You seem like a warm and interesting person, and I hope you don’t mind me reaching out. I’d enjoy having a friendly conversation and, if you’re open to it, getting to know you a little better.

      Warmly,
      Matt

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.