Friday, October 13, 2023

Remembering. An Anniversary

Friday, October 13, 1972.  Fifty-one years ago today.  My husband and I moved into our new home way out in the 'boonies'.  Lots has changed in the years that passed.  We are no longer in the boonies, lol.  The dirt roads are mostly paved and we have lights at intersections instead of stop signs.  The farms and farm stands are gone and now I shop at supermarkets.  Convenience stores and fast food abounds.  Progress?

Anyway, I thought I would share some old photos of my home.  So much has changed there too. This is the oldest pic I could find on the computer, dated 1975.

My husband chose the exterior color.  Not bad.  We had hired a landscape designer.  What looks good on paper doesn't always work.  Except for the small shrub next to the front porch and the tiny yew at the front corner, everything else has been removed.  That is the birch tree that I removed a few weeks ago.  Plants sometimes outgrow the space available or just die off.

By 1981, we had already removed plants and planted new ones.  Here is another view of the front.

We added another birch tree on the far right.  It was decimated in an ice storm about 10 years ago.  In the front of the birches was my Yoshino cherry.  Here it is in bloom in 1993.
I thought I had a better pic, but I could not find it.  This tree also 'bit the ice' so to speak and broke right down the center within a few years of this photo.  I have never seen one in a nursery to replace it.  In the left front corner you can see mugo pines.  There were three of them and all are gone as of this year.  A very heavy snowstorm split them into several pieces.  

Fast forward to 2006.  I used to be ambitious about adding flowers to the yard in the summer until I got tired of watering.
Notice that the color and siding has changed.  
And five years later, yeah, no flowers, lol:
2015, a new roof and a fence replacement to keep the deer out of the back yard.  I had a split rail fence, but they constantly jumped over that.
November, 2020:

September, 2022:

Except for the missing birch tree, this is pretty much how the house looks 51 years later.  I am the last of the original homeowners on the street.  I feel ancient, lol.  But I will stay here as long as I am able.  Actually never thought I would be in this house this long.

7 comments:

  1. I never thought I would be in our house as long as I have, either. It was supposed to be a temporary starter house - back in 1987! I enjoyed your photo trip through time. Things do change as we change. I think this may be my last year of having lots of flower baskets - too much work. I hear you. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lovely home, Denise, through all of its changes. Watering flowers constantly is definitely a chore. Your shrubs look just as nice without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great look over the years of your home. Seeing the trees must be somewhat, bittersweet memories. Your home, for some reason, reminds me of the Brady Bunch home:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had three sons and three step-children, though the steps never lived here. Close, lol.

      Delete
    2. Birgit, you beat me to it - I was going to note the resemblance to the Brady house used in the fade in shots. In could almost hear the music when I looked at the first picture.

      Delete
    3. Congratulations, Denise, on maintaining this house and home all this time. I was in the 9th grade when you moved in. I remember that time very vividly. In my adult years I have moved about two or three times per decade, but there is something in me that would love to have had a house like yours for all this time. I doubt I was up to it, though.

      Delete
    4. This is actually the fifth residence for me. One other residence lasted 22 years.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.