Tuesday, September 19, 2023

For the Love of Scones

This is a repost, with edits, from 2015.  I am resisting the urge to bake scones.  Wish me luck.

Cleaning is not something I have much of an interest in unless it involves my kitchen and food.  I was looking to see what items in the fridge needed to be used.  I had some heavy cream, half and half, dried apricots...

 I LOVE scones, both the traditional English scone with currants and the Americanized version that is softer.

This scone recipe is adapted from Apricot-Orange Cream Scones in the Penzey's Spices magazine and makes a very tender scone.  My son declared them better than the orange scones in a bakery I frequent.


APRICOT CREAM SCONES

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 T sugar
1 T baking powder
2 tsp freshly grated orange peel
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup chocolate chips; white, semi or milk (I used milk)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup half and half
1/4 tsp fiori di sicilia or 1/2 tsp almond extract or 1/2 tsp orange extract

1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
2-3 T fresh orange juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Spray a scone pan with non-stick spray.  Recipe will make 8 large or 16 small scones.  OR, scoop onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, two inches apart.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, orange peel, salt, apricots, and chips.  Stir to mix well and coat the apricots. 

Add the cream, half and half, and flavoring (if using, or you can omit it).  Mix to combine well but do not over-mix, just until liquid is absorbed.

Using a scoop sprayed with non-stick spray, fill scone pan with batter or place on cookie sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes in pan. 

Prepare glaze using the powdered sugar and orange juice.  Drizzle over scones.  Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. I LIVE for scones. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but the moment I taste one with just the right ingredients -- most prominently orange cream -- I believe I live for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious, Denise! I'm envious of your baking skills. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish. I have a weakness for these types of pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You tempted me with your raspberry scones, and you've gone and done it again with these!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.