Thursday, April 29, 2021

Y Counting the Years

 We always joked about my great-grandmother lying about her age.  Here is her funeral card.

If Louise was really born in 1883, she would have born a child when she was nine years old.  I think not.  In the transcribed records from Nadolany that are online, she was born in 1874. 

Reading records online and keeping track of ages is very interesting.   Parents have their ages recorded at each birth of a child.  It is not unusual for people to get younger as time goes on.   And never rely on the quoted age when reading a death record.  Especially when someone dies over the age of seventy.  Then it is anybody's guess as to the actual age.

I guess in the grand scheme of life back in the 17 and 1800's, how old you were was not really a big issue.  It certainly wasn't like you could retire and collect social security.

And I should be one to talk.  I told everyone I was 29 up until I was ready to turn 40.  Now I gladly say I am turning 75 this year and ask for the senior discount.

8 comments:

  1. My wife's great aunt lied about her age for years. The gap between the actual and pretend ages grew to the point where she forced her younger sister (Judy's grandma), to also lie about her age so that the older sister would not become the younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reading the first Donna Leon book. I love it. The mention of the Venetian language, the prejudices agajnst non-Venetians... It's like being at a family gathering, lol

      Delete
  2. He he about age lying. I had a friend who would not give her age. As a result, people aged her. I was her friend and would tell people "You know she is not that old." But it made me stop shaving off the years. I didn't want that "aging you" thing people can do. Besides, once you turn 30, the worst is over. I told myself that at 40, 50, 60, and I hope to make it to 70.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to 80. Hope I can still manage my home and garden on my own by then.

      Delete
  3. She went by the Gabor Sister's style of aging.:) You do not look 75 at least from the pictures you showcase here. My grandfather was born in 1874, in Edenborough but he is not Scottish by any means. I am thinking his parents ran out of money and had to stay here for 5 or so years before coming over to the States and finally, Canada. I love that your Great Grandmom never thought you would find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother-in-law lied about her age. There was a nine year difference between her oldest son and youngest and when anyone asked how old her sons were she just mentioned the age of the youngest.

      Delete
  4. So, it seems we were both born in 1946 - or was it '56?!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.