Friday, April 16, 2021

Narrative

 The stories we are told about our families form a narrative of their lives.  But do we believe them?

I never asked questions about my family when I was young, but I did hear stories - when they actually spoke in English and not Polish or Italian.  There would always be lots of shouting and hand-waving and I was never sure what to believe.  In recent years, my older relatives have disclosed things that I never heard about growing up.

I never knew that my mother had dropped out of high school in her senior year.  She used to say that she never got her diploma because she never finished her government class requirement - she neglected to say it was her own fault for dropping out.

My father's sister let it rip one day about how much she hated one of her sisters-in-law.  She and her brother were close and the revelation really surprised me.

I have heard so many stories.  And what I have learned in the hearing and retelling is that we put our own slant on the narrative.  I discovered that if you tell negative tales about someone to someone who likes the person, they don't believe you.  You must be making it up or mistaken.  

And I realized that life is truly like politics.  We like the narrative that agrees with out beliefs.  Years ago when I was a union president while working for the City of Detroit, the city's representative told me that all life is politics and I should get used to it.  The older I get, the more I realize he is right.  And so it is with the narrative of our lives.

My suggestion is that we each write the narrative of our life that we want to leave behind.  I started that project years ago but kept digressing from what I wanted to say and never finished.  At the least we could write our own obituary - a dreary but necessary thought, especially since when my ex-husband died, my son called to get information for the obituary.  Never thought I would be doing that.

And there is always stuff about us our kids just do not know.  In a conversation with one of my sons recently, I mentioned something about when I was teaching and he said he never knew I taught.  So, I explained that I had worked in a teaching hospital associated with the University and we had ten medical technology students each year and I had each one for three weeks at a time and I taught them clinical enzymology - yeah, it's not something that ever comes up in  a conversation nowadays.

Each of us has a narrative, and it really is something we should pass down to our future family.  And my hat goes off to all those biographers of great people.  I do not know how they gather all that information and put it into something I enjoy reading.  That is truly amazing.  Try writing your own bio and realize how hard it is.

8 comments:

  1. I like that quote all life is politics. I grew up with very honest parents and I must say logical thinking parents. Then I stepped in the world and discovered you have to find out where someone is coming from to communicate. Being a teacher, I discovered adults were trickier than kids.

    My favorite genre is the memoir. They aren't the most exciting stories but the point of views is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just watched a documentary on Oliver Sacks and now I am very interested in reading his biography. I do enjoy reading about real people.

      Delete
  2. Stories we're told and can't repeat! My late mother said one of my brother's was a "pain in my butt since he was 15." I would LOVE to tell him that, as he's a real pain for the rest of the family! But, I won't. My mother also disliked the other brother's wife. She "trapped" him into marrying her. Well, she did have a baby right away, but not for 9 or 10 months! She did have four of her own she brought with her, which was a sore spot to my mother and that pain of a brother. They are still together, the "baby" now has teenagers of her own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sister-in-law my aunt hated? She was a widow with four young children and everyone felt she had "trapped" my uncle into marrying her. Well, she was pregnant.

      Delete
  3. Yes, that man is right about life being politics. My mom hated for certain things to be known like that her dad stole food. She was so upset at her dad telling me and my cousin that he stole and went to jail. When we told my mom to take it easy she was just worse, she got so upset even banging her fist on the table telling her dad to shut up. It was the war but she wanted it to look like they were some noble people. What’s weird is she told me more than once how she stole food from the Russians because they had to eat. My dad , as I mentioned before always said we were related to Liberace but also to Gene Krupa...I couldn’t remember his name until just now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Families. Good thing we can choose our friends. Looks like you got some digging to do when you retire. In the latest Finding Your Roots episode John Lithgow is related to Clint Eastwood, Sally Field, Julia Child and Henry Louis Gates. Plus others. Amazing.

      Delete
  4. My father once told me we were related to John Wayne (born Marion Morrison). Years later, he didn't recall saying that, but as an aside he said we were related to NFL football star Joe Morrison. I had never recalled hearing that Joe M. was a relative. And it was no dementia issue. My father was very sharp of mind his whole life. It's just that the claims shift with time, even when made by the same person. So get it in writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our lives are all one big story. Each of us has one to tell. And what is wrong with a little embellishment? Although when I first got online a woman and Texas kept hounding me and asking why I wouldn't answer her emails. She kept saying she knew I was her old friend from high school, Denise Hamm. I told her that was just an email name I used and not my real name and I finally had to block her. So, maybe when names are similar some folks think they are related.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.