Monday, April 12, 2021

J no more. I am J.

 The Italian alphabet.  I guess things could be worse.  I could be reading state documents from old Polish Russia that are written in Cyrillic.  But I am reading Italian documents, both those from the Napoleonic Era and those from a united Italy.  And therein lies the problem.

In the early 1800's the alphabet is much like the one we use.  That is, it has a J.  In the current Italian alphabet, there are 21 letters: five vowels and sixteen consonants.  The letters J, K, W, X and Y do not exist except in special words - like merchandise names.  And why is that a problem you ask?

So, if I have a relative in the 1700's whose last name is Tamaj, when I get to Italy after unification, the spelling becomes Tamai.  My Iuston cousins?  Well, those names were Jus or Just.  When the J disappeared, it could become Ius, Iuston, Gust, Giust.  If I am searching for relatives in a family, I have to search with several different spellings.

I will have more to say about spelling later in the alphabet, but for now I'll let you ponder I and J.

Now, having done two letters together, I have to think about the letter K.  I am clueless at this point. 

7 comments:

  1. I guess you are learning a bit of Italian if you don't already know Italian. Even in English, the names can be quite Quirky. I came across the name Melch today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never taught Italian as my parents only wanted us to speak English. The adults spoke Italian so none of us kids could understand. I suppose if I had paid more attention I might have learned some. I have been able to read some documents - barely.

      Delete
  2. So, If I was Italian my name would be Eith! I had no idea t used less letters than we do. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess. But maybe you would not exist as Keith in the first place since they have no name even similar to that.

      Delete
  3. This is great - I did not know about the alphabet.
    K is for kinfolk?? Kielbasa?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that Italian does not have those letters. It must throw a curveball to the people trying to learn the English language. Hey, I came across 12 different spellings of my grandmom's maiden name. My dad always said it was Dudenskie. Of course, in Polish, the females had the last name as Dudenska. I have seen Dujenskie, Judenskie, Jujenska, Duenskie..yadda yadda...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.