Thursday, April 8, 2021

Galicia

 Galicia - the crossroads of Eastern and Central Europe

Map of the Kingdom of Galicia, 1914

Mariusz Paździora, CC BY 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Was I aware of Galicia before I started my family history twenty years ago?  I doubt it.  I learned a lot of German and English history in school, but I think that most of what I knew about this region came from watching movies.  Remember those Celts who settled Cordenons, Italy?  Well they settled this area too.

My father's mother's family was all from this area.  I have traced the paternal side of the family back to 1693; the maternal side only as far back as 1780.  Under the word "Galicia" on the map you will see the town of Sanok.  Most of  my family in this line came from Nadolany, about ten miles from here.

From 1772 to 1918, this area belonged to the Austrian, later Austro-Hungarian, Empire.  How about that?  Both sides of my family, the Polish and Italian, were under the same political control at the same time.  The western area of Galicia spoke mostly Polish, while the Eastern area was more Ukranian.  From what I have read, the Ukraine was not happy when this was annexed to Poland after the First World War.  

Below is a typical home - where essentially an entire family would live - parents, grandparents, children, spouses...  We are so spoiled today.

Chałupa z Nadolan (1892) 
Lucek, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

One of the cousins that I met through DNA matching gave me lots of information that he discovered after visiting the churches in this area.  He also photocopied everything and gave it to the Mormon church.  If they ever reopen their centers, I will visit the one here in Bloomfield Hills and see what else I can learn.

Have you ever visited Poland?  While I have been to Austria and Hungary, I have never made it here.  It was on my travel list for this year, but....


13 comments:

  1. I've not visited Poland. I've not in fact seen much of Europe despite living within easy reach. My travels have been more far-reaching. I do intend to put that right once we get moving again! I'm not sure a 'family home' appeals to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several of my Detroit area relatives lived in homes next to each other. But my great-grandmother who was from Galicia lived in Hamtramck with two of her children and their spouses and children in the same house. I guess if I had to I could live with my children. I'm half-crazy already, lol.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting to see this area. I too, have been to Austria and Hungary but not Poland. War sucks because of, well, death but how much land was taken away. Poland took a huge chunk from Germany but Russia took a huge chunk from Poland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kremlin slid Poland westward on rollers after WW II.

      Delete
    2. My cousin who lives in Paris told me that Krakow is more beautiful than Paris. Hard to believe so I really must see it.

      Delete
    3. Yes, Brian...you are right! Really? Krakow is that beautiful? I have to see it

      Delete
  3. So interesting to learn about the particulars of this region, the name of which also is news to me. Of course, with the violent demise of Austria-Hungary, then all of Stalin's redrawing of the map (and that oh, so successful concoction called Yugoslavia), lots of smaller national identities are obscure. Thanks for posting about Galicia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually been to Yugoslavia. Well, used to be Yugoslavia. My grandfather's info on his ship manifest says he came from Russia. When I first saw that it surprised me, then I realized that Russia controlled that part of Poland at the time. My understanding is that you now give the name of the current country. So, I visited Croatia.

      Delete
  4. Hi Denise - I hadn't come across this Galicia - so I'll be back to look in more detail anon. It always amazes me that the German Empire only came into existence in 1871 ... I'm so unknowledgeable about that part of the world. I've been to Czechoslovakia in about 1974 - so behind the Iron Curtain ... but have most definitely not explored the Eastern European region of the world. It's interesting how families have changed over time ... and how far we stretch out from our homeland now. Fascinating history you're finding out - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything constantly changes, doesn't it?

      Delete
    2. Yes, they finally put all the German provinces together but Germany as a people were around for centuries

      Delete
  5. I never knew about this Galicia. I was only familiar with the Galicia region of Spain. Amazing what your research can discover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing. I would love to have studied history, but not much of a career there unless you want to teach.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.