Sunday, March 29, 2020

A Gluten Free Dessert

I do not usually make gluten-free desserts as I have no dietary need to do so.  I do not remember why I bought a bag of almond meal, but it must have been for a recipe that also used flour.  Anyway, I stashed the remainder in the freezer with the idea that I would use it one day.

Well, yesterday was that day.  I wanted to get rid of some of my pantry items.  Some of that flour, some caster sugar (super-fine sugar), one egg yolk, a lemon, lemon curd, and salted butter.  That meant trying to find a recipe online that I could doctor up and use.

So this is what I came up with:


It is an almond lemon cake and it is moist and delicious.  This is how I made mine, but I have a feeling that the recipe is forgiving.  So, if you use regular sugar, okay.  As would be unsalted butter, and whole egg in place of the egg yolk.  But, you really need the almond meal or almond flour to get the goodness of the almond taste.

Here is the recipe for an Almond Lemon Cake:

Preheat your oven to 350 F.
Spray a 9-inch cake pan with baking spray and line with parchment if available.

1 1/2 cups of Blue Diamond Almond Flour, packed in the cup.
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt (could probably eliminate if using salted butter)
Zest of one large lemon
2 tsp lemon juice
1 stick (8 Tbsp) salted butter at room temperature
4 oz less fat cream cheese at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
4 large eggs plus one egg yolk
1 tsp Baker's imitation vanilla (or use the extract if you have it)

In a bowl, whisk the almond flour, baking powder and salt.

In a large bowl, beat the butter, cream cheese and sugar until creamy.  Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolk and vanilla and mix well.  Alternately add the eggs one at a time with the almond flour, mixing well after each addition.

Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool on a rack for 15 minutes, remove from pan and then cool completely.

Okay, I confess, I did not let it cool completely.  I ate it warm, lol.

So this morning I made a quick topping with whipped cream and lemon curd and spread it on top.  Breakfast.  Hey, it has eggs and cheese in it.  Like an omelet.  Don't judge.


11 comments:

  1. It looks delicious! I would never judge but commend you on your creativity!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some almond flour in my pantry as well. I love anything lemony!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No judging here. You gotta do what you gotta do. Sounds delicious, between the almond meal and the lemon curd. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And since I am home alone, I will just have to eat the entire cake myself.

      Delete
  4. Looks really good! I love anything lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make rice pudding with almond flour, that too is delicious. I love your topping too. Makes me feel hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great, looks great and I bet it tastes great!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.