Tuesday, June 19, 2018

June 19, 1969 Capri and Naples, Italy

Today we are heading off to the Isle of Capri.  Except that we are not the only ones.  The place is crawling with US servicemen.  It seems the 6th Fleet is in town and sailors from the USS John F Kennedy are everywhere!

It is cold and windy aboard ship, quite a change from the heat wave we just experienced.  On Capri we got into the little boats to visit the Blue Grotto, which seemed to take forever.   I was rather disappointed according to my diary.

We went  up to Anacapri for lunch.  I still remember that drive.  The van driver was crazy.  I thought for sure we were going to crash.  Or go over the side.  Take a look.
Back down the mountain we went shopping in Capri and bought purses.  I have no recollection of this and have no idea what the purse looked like.

On the boat ride back to Naples we met two sailors who invited us out to dinner.  We accepted, had dinner, and then spent the evening at an amusement park in Naples.  Not something that was on to 'to do ' list for sure.  But we did have a great time.  They invited us to a tour of the John F. Kennedy on the next day, but we already had plans.  I wrote down the name and address of the sailors with a promise to write, but alas, as with every other name and address I wrote in my diary, I never did write. 

All in all, an interesting day.  Expenses were $5.72.  Cheap purse.

17 comments:

  1. Oh Lordy! There was barrely enough room to pass a car on that road! I have always heard that Italian drivers were crazy. But I guess that's a toss up between them and French drivers! So what made the water blue in the blue grotto? I think I would have loved that. And what was the chain for that the guy in the boat grabbed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunlight coming through an underwater cavity and shining through the seawater makes it blue. You have to lie down in the boat and the chain is used to pull the boat inside.

      Delete
  2. Why on earth do you have to lay down in the boat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because the opening to the cave is so small you will hit your head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. I would have been white knuckles all the way through that drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I was in the window seat on the open side of the road. I thought I was going to be sick.

      Delete
  5. I would not have enjoyed that drive at all!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I drove to Italy once - never again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are crazy there. I had one photo in Rome where the cars were parked on the sidewalks and double-parked in the street. And still cars tried to maneuver down the road. Of course, drivers around here are nearly as bad.

      Delete
  7. The only time in my life I had hysterics was driving on a road like that in Spain. My father was driving and he never took a driving test in his life. Matt and I were in the back and I was terrified. So I can sympathise with you. Pity you didn't write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have a friend I have traveled with and her driving scares the you-know-what out of me. And that is on regular roads!

      Delete
  8. That trip reminds me of the time my mother and I took a bus tour through the Alps. Such narrow roads and no guardrails. Scary! I wonder of it's worth the expense and discomfort to visit The Blue Grotto. Will do some research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go into a cave and the water is blue. That's it.

      Delete
  9. Here I am again....I would like to see the blue grotto to see the brilliant blue as long as they don’t charge an arm and a leg. Watching that drive reminded me of driving with my Aunt and Uncle and the driving is nuts. They would drive crazy and pass cars while going up the mountains..crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 25 Euros per person? My friend drives like your relatives. She can't stand to be behind a car.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.