Sunday, May 20, 2018

May 20, 1969 Lisbon, Portugal

We spend the day shopping in Lisbon.  I bought my mother some linen placemats from Madeira.  They were off white with pink embroidery.  They may be in my garage sale pile or I may have already donated them.  After my mother passed away my sister gave them back to me.  Somewhere along the way my mother must have thrown them in the washing machine.  They shrunk and were more the size of a napkin.  I never used them.

The rest of the day was spent walking around the city and debating whether or not to go to St. George's Castle.  We didn't go.  This is what we missed.
CastleSaintGeorge
By Massimo Catarinella [CC BY 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons

Typical me, I reported on the weather.  A jacket is necessary in the shade due to the chill and the wind.  Go in the sun and you roast and there is no breeze at all.

Tonight we board the train to go back to Madrid, pick up mail and take another train to Granada.  As you can see, if you travel by train at night, you do not have to pay for a hotel room.  Then again, do not plan to get a lot of sleep.

A pricey day with the linens, hotel and yesterday's tour totalling $33.12.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your day in Lisbon Denise. We'd love to go to Portugal and it is quite high up our list of places to visit. Good tip about travelling by train at night - I'd never thought of that.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple of prior posts about Portugal.

      Delete
  2. To save the cost of hotel room, one can sometimes stay the night at the airport or at the central railway station, if got stucked there, for some reason. When you're young there are many options, but safety comes first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some unnerving experiences with other people in the car. Fortunately, it was more in our imagination of what could happen. Certainly wouldn't do it today at my age.

      Delete
  3. Hadn't thought about that with traveling at night by train. But you are right, not maybe the most restful sleep one might get!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. An overnight train trip must be cheaper than a hotel, but, as you said, you're not likely to get a good night's sleep. Looking forward to the next stop! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the Eurail pass which gave us unlimited travel on the train.

      Delete
  5. Ever wish to see this castle or have you? I think you are right on budget considering how little you spent the last few days. Funny how we buy something and it ends up in a garage sale or to goodwill. I like travelling by train during the day because I can't sleep on the train plus I love looking at all the views

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am sure we missed some nice scenery. I've never been back to Portugal.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.