Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Spinach puffs - my take on spanakopita

First of all, let me thank everyone for their suggestions for Easter dessert.  I ended up making a lemon curd cake from Bon Appetit and it was delicious.
Now for today's recipe.

From 1966 when I started my junior year of college at the medical school until I left my job at the hospital in 1977, I spent many lunch and dinner hours in Detroit's Greektown.  I learned all about Greek food and to this day it is one of my favorite cuisines.

One of my co-workers was Greek and she gave me several of her recipes.  My oldest son loves her pastitsio recipe.  My favorite is spinach pie, spanakopita.  My original recipe is from a 1974 issue of Gourmet.  This time I adapted it to make spinach puffs.

Spanakopita Puffs

Makes 12

1 10oz pkg frozen chopped spinach
1 1/2 cups minced yellow onion
8 good size scallions, sliced thin, both green and white parts
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup minced fresh dill
2 Tbsp minced fresh Italian parsley
Pinch of salt
4 ounces Feta cheese
2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 eggs
1 pkg frozen puff pastry - Pepperidge Farm

Thaw frozen spinach and drain in colander to remove liquid.  You can do this overnight in fridge.  Be sure to press out as much liquid as possible. 

In a sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter.  Add the yellow and green onions, dill and parsley and sauté for five minutes.  Add a pinch of salt and the spinach.  Stir well and sauté for ten minutes.  Cool.  Can be made a day ahead and kept covered in refrigerator.

Take puff pastry from freezer and thaw at room temperature.  You will need one full sheet and 1/3 of the other sheet.  You may wish to cut the one third off while frozen (run sharp knife along edge) and return the remaining to freezer for another use.

To cooled mixture add feta and parmesan.  Beat 2 of the eggs and add to mixture.  Mix well.

Unfold pastry sheet and roll out to roughly 11 x 11.  Cut full sheet into nine squares.  Roll out remaining strip to roughly 11x4.  Cut into three squares.

Spray a cupcake pan with baking spray containing flour.  Or grease and flour, your choice.  Place a pastry square in each cup with the corners sticking up.  Fill each cup with the spinach filling.  Fold over the corners of the dough.  Brush the exposed dough with an egg wash made using the remaining egg and some water.  This can be done a few hours ahead and refrigerated, covered, until ready to bake.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until dough has puffed and browned.  Allow to sit ten minutes and lift out to serve.


11 comments:

  1. I love spanakopita and this recipe sounds fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I speak Greek: souvlaki, spanikopita, tzatziki, moussaka... One of my favoirte cuisines, too. Your recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spanikopita and this looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm often in Greece and I always enjoy spanakopita. Despite being a chef for many years I've never attempted making it, but thanks to you that is about to change!

    My Friend Rosey - E is for Employment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original recipe uses phyllo and it is made into a roll. But truly, I love puff pastry way more than phyllo and decided to switch it up.

      Delete
  5. Those look delicious Denise. I loved eating in Greece. The small tavernas and restaurants don't have menus, they take you into the kitchen to show you what they are cooking that day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't dare read this until after Passover because I knew it would sound good. I'm another person who isn't the biggest fan of phyllo, by the way. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I followed the original recipe using phyllo, I often left most of the phyllo on my plate. Not with puff pastry though.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.