Saturday, February 17, 2018

Three Strikes and You're Out? Maybe not.

I have been meaning to write a post about what I learned when I took the AARP driver safety course.  I just haven't gotten around to it.  One of the areas dealt with was crashes with animals and how to deal with them - like don't swerve to avoid one.

This year I have had three close calls with deer.  Frequent readers of this blog will already know how much I detest the creatures.  In the fall, I came close to hitting a deer when taking Charlie to preschool.  Then, a few weeks later, I was on my way to pick him up when a deer ran out in front of my car just down the street from me.  I got out the cell phone and took the picture while I recovered my composure.

My son often sees the deer in the morning and in the evening when he is dropping Charlie off or picking him up.  Yesterday, Charlie and I were on our way home around noon when three deer ran out in front of me in the neighborhood.  I was so shaken I made a wrong turn in the subdivision and had to backtrack to get to the house. 

I do not know how many deer are in my township, but it is not uncommon to see as many as seven at a time.  I have lots of pictures of deer.

When I was taking the test, I Googled some stats on deer crashes.  Seems there are 1.6 million deer crashes each year.  There is over 4 BILLION dollars in damage each year, both physical to autos and medical to those folks involved.  And then there is the loss of life by deer going through car windshields.  I've heard at least two cases of that happening here in Michigan.

And the cost of damage to plants isn't even considered.  I've had entire shrubs eaten to the ground.  I am certainly not looking forward to another year of trying to keep them out of my yard.  We had our chance back in the early nineties when Ted Nugent warned us about the deer that would soon be out of control.  He wanted our Board to allow bow and arrow hunting in the nature preserve to cull the herd.  We laughed and scoffed at the idea.  What a mistake. 

My local garden center sells kits for detecting Lyme disease.  That should tell folks how serious this can become.  I have known two people who contracted the disease and they were both very ill for a long time.  But I guess if I live in a country that will not control guns, I can hardly expect them to control Bambi and her relatives.


11 comments:

  1. Culling the herd is vital to the deer and us. They get out of hand quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Chernobil, animals have taken over the region. Humans cannot survive there but the animals seem to thrive.
    That's probably what's going to happen in the West, with or without a nuclear leak. Animals are going to take over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear you are right. We have been dealing with stink bugs for the last few years. There is no pesticide that will kill them.

      Delete
  3. You're preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately our view seems to be in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I must admit I am on Bambi's side but I can see what a problem they are for you in your area. I am surprised your area doesn't do anything about culling though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’d say to introduce wolves but most people would be against that. I’m sorry but the6 do look regal but I do know they cause a lot of damage. Now if one brought back the predator that normally ate the deer, then the situation might improve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have wolves up north, which may be why the deer have moved south. We have coyotes down here and folks complain about them. I find it interesting that humans are in favor of animals that are vegetarians, like deer and squirrels, and detest animals that are carnivores, like wolves and coyotes. Yet, most humans are carnivores and carnivorous animals do not destroy our environment.

      Delete
    2. It occurs to me that wolves may well move in to the area without any human interference. If they discover the prevalence of deer. If not wolves, coyotes. From what I have been learning through documentaries they are spreading.

      Delete
    3. Something I had never thought about Denise. Of course you say destroying the environment, but you mean 'our environment' they are just doing what comes naturally.

      Delete
    4. Carnivores keep the populations in check.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.