Monday, July 18, 2016

Oh Deer

I am sure that most of you are tired of hearing me complain about deer and fireworks, but that is exactly what I will be doing this week.

First, the deer.  I have now moved all the daylilies (other than Stella de Oro) and nearly all the hosta varieties they love into the back fenced yard.  I am thinking that I may just use my deer netting to cover the few fragrant daylilies in the front yard when they flower.  That being said, I spent yesterday at my son's home removing hosta that was planted last month and replacing it with Shasta daisies.

I know some folks think deer are cute and don't understand the damage they do, but really folks, is this what we want our landscaping to look like?


On the taller hosta they left just the stalks - which I replanted in my back yard.  I have also had them totally take down cotoneaster shrubs to the ground in winter.  I refuse to give up and will continue to fight them on my property.  In Michigan I can shoot an intruder to my home but no one wants to shoot a deer in the city.  Go figure.

This is what those tall hosta should look like:


This is what they cannot get to - my daylilies in the walled garden:


12 comments:

  1. We have deer in our neighborhood here in Baltimore too... and yes, they can be such a damaging nuisance! I share your frustrations. I'm sure you've tried spraying Liquid Fence or other similar products - those have worked for me, somewhat, but the problem is that it stinks so bad that it's also a human repellant! and besides, you have to reapply after rains, etc.

    Hopefully you'll find pretty plants for the front that they'll leave alone. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried everything. They even came up and ate plants that were right next to a DeerOff container.

      Delete
  2. Oh believe me I have waged the war with deer for many years and I have just given up. We are finally building a greenhouse to keep the critters out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a problem with the deer here. But I don't have flowers and a garden anymore. I love looking out my window and seeing them in my backyard. Especially since I live in town!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has literally cost me thousands of dollars dealing with them. Two communities have hired sharp shooters after several bad accidents.

      Delete
    2. Geez! I hope there are no sharp shooters looking for deer here in my neighborhood!! That is a bit drastic. But I can understand being upset if I had lost thousands of dollars of plants.

      Delete
  4. At 6:00 this morning, I started to let the dog out and there was a deer, eating our plants right in our backyard. I tried to hold my dog back but she took off after that deer and chased it from the yard. I just worry one of these days the deer is going to get scared and kick her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could easily happen, especially a doe protecting her young. I just read that there are 30 million deer in the USA but no plan to get rid of some and many consider them a bigger threat to the environment - loss of forest and flowering plants (which impacts bees)- than global warming. The more I learn, the madder I get.

      Delete
  5. Of course I have never had a problem with them so I am one of those who think Bambi etc. etc. but I do understand how very frustrating this must be for those of you with gardens and I too would be wanting to shoot them. I didn't know they were considered a big threat to the environment but I can understand why. Pity you can't turn them into venison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would if I could shoot them. I still remember my mother trying to cook all the venison when I was growing up.

      Delete
  6. Ah yes, the deer can really do damage. They are cute looking and majestic with the antlers but they can do a to. Of damage. You may have to plant things out front they don't like to eat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planting salvia and they have left it alone. But they have chewed up tall sedum which they are not supposed to like either.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.