Sunday, February 28, 2016

Oscar Night Not for Me

I will not be watching the Oscars tonight.  It has been many years since I have watched them.   I used to be addicted to watching every bit of the activity having grown up with Bob Hope, who was the best Oscar emcee ever IMHO (ok, not so humble).  I even went to Oscar Parties - big shindigs here in Detroit as evidenced by this photo:


They were wonderful affairs with lots of food and a live telecast.  We even got authentic Oscar programs.


But little by little I got tired of the show and was disappointed with the movies and people who won. I could write volumes about movies I hated ('The English Patient' comes to mind) and actors I can't tolerate (Meryl Streep, I know, I know, don't say it).  And then there were movies I loved that didn't even get nominated ('Dreamgirls').

A few years ago I stopped going to the theatre to see movies.  I got tired of the patrons talking and texting and it extended across all age ranges.  Now I just wait for the DVD.

So, tonight I will watch a Downton Abbey special.  I received an email from a local PBS saying that the finale was postponed a week because of the Oscars.  In a choice between Oscar drivel and Downton there is no question which I prefer.

I still have my Oscar gowns stashed away so maybe I will get one out and wear if for the Downton finale next week.  I'd throw a party as I did for the Seinfeld finale, but the show starts a little too late for that.  If we started partying at seven, us old-timers might not make it to 10:30, lol.

I previously posted about Oscars here.

14 comments:

  1. I think the Oscars should be postponed so we can watch our Downton finale. You could take all the movies, roll them into one, and still Downton would come out on top. Happy Sunday Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you know I will be watching:) I love it despite all the. Crap. I love Downton Abbey also so I am glad they postponed it but I am taping the special tonight. I didn't mind the. English Patient but I am in agreement with you on Streep. She is too overblown and I never. Thought she was as great as they make her out to be. she could cough up a fur ball and they would hand her the Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh is that what happened. I just turned on the TV half an hour ago to discover it was some guy talking about manners in the period. I don't really care, I just wanted to see Downton. I used to watch the Oscars religiously, but found, over the years, there were too many in jokes for me and I didn't really know what was going on. Well, will be sure to see the finale next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday's MENSA puzzle was "Think of a certain event that only happens once a year. The two-word name of this event, if you ignore the space between the two words, contains six consecutive letters that spell S-C-A-R-C-E. What is the event?" I didn't get the answer as I don't watch the Oscar Ceremony (answer).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would have gotten it either. And I've watched many a show.

      Delete
  5. I watched a couple of old Steven Colbert Late Shows from the DVR. No interest in the Oscars. Never have had any interest. Guess I'm a bit unusual. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out I've only seen one of the winners this year, 'Inside Out'. I'll eventually see many of the movies, but in the comfort of my home. I watched clips online this morning of the show which is much quicker than sitting through the whole event.

      Delete
  6. We didn't watch last night - the first time in many years. I think we watched in the past just out of habit. I realized this year that A) I hadn't seen any of the pictures, and B) I just didn't care very much. I'll get a list of the nominations and the winners and add them to my Netflix list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Netflix, my local library, Amazon prime, I absolutely love it. that's how I enjoy my movies.

      Delete
  7. Haha! That was good. Have to say I still love going to the cinema but don't get to that often anymore. So Netflix and Amazon streaming are my friends and I watch what I can. Lately more TV shows than movies... Love the photo!!! Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd take Downton Abbey over the Oscars too. Enjoy the finale tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.