2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
2 cups yellow onions, short julienne cut
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp fresh minced ginger or 2 Tbsp Gourmet Garden Ginger
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (drain off the liquid on top)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 cinnamon stick
1-2 cups chicken stock or broth
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp Garam masala
1 cup coconut milk
salt and pepper
oil for sauteeing, as needed
- Cut thighs in half, or if using breasts, cut across grain to obtain approx. 2 x 2 inch pieces.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet and brown chicken on both sides until nearly cooked. Use oil for sauteeing as needed or if desired.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add the onions and saute until the are transparent. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant.
- Add the mustard seeds and the cumin seeds and fry until they begin to 'pop' in the pan.
- Add curry powder and turmeric. Stir and cook until they become fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stir until a sauce begins to form, about three minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and some chicken broth until you achieve a nice consistency.
- Add the cinnamon stick and return the chicken and its juices to the pan.
- Cover and simmer very gently for about 20 to 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Add the garam masala in the last ten minutes of cooking.